Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pattern said cont in pattern until arm hole mesures 9 inches. question how do you mesure, by counting rows or follow the curve of arm hole. Thanks for any help you an give me. New to knitting.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
nanaerma said:
pattern said cont in pattern until arm hole mesures 9 inches. question how do you mesure, by counting rows or follow the curve of arm hole. Thanks for any help you an give me. New to knitting.
You measure straight up from the row you first decreased at. Do not follow the curve, just a straight line from the first decrease row. If your pattern gives you a schematic (sp? -this is a picture drawn to see the measurements of your project) of your pattern you should be able to see it on there. Most patterns have schematics now. It makes it much easier if you have to do any changes.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
nanaerma said:
you don't go around the curve, you go from the shoulder point (i use the st that would NOT include my seams, leaving them on the outside), and then measure straight down to the first row of stitches that goes all the way to the point on the armhole... but not to the point, just to the row the point's on... sometimes, its easiest to lay a ruler or straight needle ON that row of stitches to make sure your tape measure is going straight down...

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
ellieblue said:
I find it helpful to mark the first decrease row with a safety pin on that row , putting it in a few inches from the end, and then measure up or down from that point.
That is what I also do. I think you can measure more accurately.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ellieblue said:
I find it helpful to mark the first decrease row with a safety pin on that row , putting it in a few inches from the end, and then measure up or down from that point.
I think that is a great idea and will try it as I am working on a knitted pullover.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
I find it easier to use 2 straight edge pieces, i.e, 2 rulers laying one across the top of the decrease row and the other straight up from that ruler away from the edge -- sort of a L-shape to measure the armhole.

·
Registered
776 Posts
nanaerma said:
I put a small safety pin in the row where I do the first decreases for the armhole about 2 inches in fromthe edge so its easier to work out where the row is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom