Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
rasputin said:
Okay, it seems that sewing a new seam and cutting off excess is the way to go...will try it.

thanks Ladies!
I have done this more than once with sweaters that are too wide through the body. Believe me, it works and no one knows the difference. Don't see why it wouldn't work with sleeves.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
onegrannygoose said:
When yo do that be sure you have caught each and every stitch. Look up steeking. Cause that is what you would be doing.
This isn't my understanding of steeking. In this particular case it is just a seam. When a steek is used there is no existing seam, it is cutting into the knitting itself.
By sewing by machine a new seam and cutting off the excess could be done by a serger if one was available.
If not, a close zigzag if all that is necessary.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Joy Marshall said:
This isn't my understanding of steeking. In this particular case it is just a seam. When a steek is used there is no existing seam, it is cutting into the knitting itself.
By sewing by machine a new seam and cutting off the excess could be done by a serger if one was available.
If not, a close zigzag if all that is necessary.
That is interesting. I don't know I do not claim to be an expert however I have steeked before and that is what I did. Either way I hope it works for rasputin . My understanding is that she is going to cut into the knitting itself.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
onegrannygoose said:
That is interesting. I don't know I do not claim to be an expert however I have steeked before and that is what I did. Either way I hope it works for rasputin . My understanding is that she is going to cut into the knitting itself.
A steek for example is made through the front of a pullover, from top to bottom. There is no existing seam. A stay stitch is made on each side of the centre line and the cut is made through the centre. Very scary!
On the other hand, in this particular case, she would just be repositoning the placement of an existing seam
I have altered both side seams and sleeves using re-seaming. No problem.
Steeking scares me silly.

·
Registered
24,416 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's basically the same as a steek if she's going to cut away the original seam (& that would be wise to get rid of the bulk). With a steek, you're sewing in order to stabilize things and avoid dropping any stitches when you cut away the fabric (as I understand it), and that's what she'll be doing. That's also why she was advised to be sure she sews down every single knit stitch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom