Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, so this topic may have been bantered around before...
Anyone besides me have acheing hands from arthritis? I have it in both of my thumbs, along with ongoing mild tendonitis. I'm not ready for surgery until I can't stand the pain. I don't want to be laid up and have to work, care for my pony and knit.
Besides taking a lot of advil, how's everyone dealing with the aches and pains? I find knitting with larger needles (size 8 +) helps so I'm not cramping my hands.
I look in the mirror and wonder who the old lady looking back at me is!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I started knitting holding the yarn in my right hand and throwing it over the needle to make a stitch. When my right hand started aching and swelling from arthritis, I taught myself how to knit using the continental style, holding the yarn in my left hand and picking off my finger. I find switching back and forth between the methods keeps my hands from swelling and hurting. I've also learned to read for awhile, then knit for awhile, then garden for awhile. It takes longer when I really want to finish a knit project, but saves my hands from aching. Hope this helps.
Nancy FP

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have arthritic hands fingers mainly I sometimes have to stop knitting and place them in a heated wheat bag I do not know if that helps any but I am not willing to let go of my hobby yet

·
Registered
730 Posts
I knit with one needle under my arm; that way I have an extra hand with which to manipulate the work. I place the empty needle under my arm and fill it.

I find crochet is really taking it out of my hands just lately though. My right thumb, in particular, is very rough, dry and cracked. I've been looking for cushioned covers for my crochet hooks (can't afford to buy the cushioned hooks at the mo) without success. I live in the U.K. and the sites I've looked at don't post that far.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I also have "IT" I find if my hands are cramping that washing them in warm water an applying something like aspercreme really helps, especially first thing in the morning . I tend to lean towards smaller project to keep the weight down too .

There some great non-narcotic pain medications out there now , ask your doctor for one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have arthritic hands and in my spinal column. Exercise believe it or not is the best remedy. Now, knitting is a form of exercise. What I do is I place my hands under a hot pad (electric) that seems to help. Also I knit 30 minutes and then stop. Do something else and then knit another 30 minutes and so on. Maybe the project does not move as fast but is worth it. Keep at it and do not give up!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I too have arthritis and am also retired, therefore, I spend most of my day knitting. I break up the knitting with laundry and doing other things but mostly I knit. I wear a brace on my hands that I got at the drugstore when I go to bed at night and that keeps the thumbs straight and gives support to that carpal tunnel nerve. I have found that it really helps.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I have arthritis in my fingers too and there are some days...ugh. One thing I've done is switched to all bamboo needles. That has helped some as has taking an Aleve a day. Sometimes not much helps but rest. Sorry.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good morning,
I too have arthritis, unfortunately. My doctor put me on Celebrex and it really helps. I've started only knitting at night while watching tv. I used to knit 18 hours a day non stop. Can't do that anymore!! Also, go to a health store and talk to someone there for natural remedies.
Hope this kinda helps.
Queenmawmaw

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have arthritis too so I know what you're talking about. I had my middle joint in my right hand replaced because of it. I find that a hot/cold treatment helps. I fill my kitchen sink with several inches of very warm water in one side and cold in the other. Then alternate putting my hands in one side and then the other. It really gets the circulation going. I also find that bamboo needles are the best...so much 'softer' to the touch. Good luck!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm staying away from surgery as long as I can. Apparently, recovery time is very long and only 40-60% end up successful. Not good! Well fitting elastiscized gloves do help and give relief for a while. I shy away from pain killers due to possibility of dependency. Vary your daily activites - that might help a little! Zina

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
try an engergizing support glove for the hand. I wear one on both of my hands while working on my knitting and my crochet projects. I also wear them when I'm on the computer. You can get them in the drug store. I have the FUTURO brand made by 3M. Very comfortable and allows free movement.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sometimes just flexing my fingers and hands for a few minutes helps ... One of my doctors in Mayo Clinc advised me to take 'Glucosamine Chondroitin' (an over the counter vitamin) for my arthritis, daily and it really does help me ! .... ask your phamatist about this product .. and ask if they carry a brand that is either a capsul or a small
pill, as certain brands tend to be really large (have to cut them in half before swallowing). Hope this helps ! (O)

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
horsewoofie said:
Anyone besides me have acheing hands from arthritis? I have it in both of my thumbs, along with ongoing mild tendonitis. I'm not ready for surgery until I can't stand the pain. I don't want to be laid up and have to work, care for my pony and knit.
Besides taking a lot of advil, how's everyone dealing with the aches and pains? I find knitting with larger needles (size 8 +) helps so I'm not cramping my hands.
I can so sympathize...I only look in the mirror when I have to! LOL! My mind still thinks I'm 21 but my arthritis reminds me I'm not. I've ordered a pr. of support gloves to keep my hands and wrist from hurting. Now if my shoulders would get with the YOUNG program!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
jknappva said:
horsewoofie said:
I can so sympathize...I only look in the mirror when I have to! LOL! My mind still thinks I'm 21 but my arthritis reminds me I'm not. I've ordered a pr. of support gloves to keep my hands and wrist from hurting. Now if my shoulders would get with the YOUNG program!!
I too sympathise, as I am sure all of us do who suffer from this affliction. Most of my friends also suffer with this but they are all between 5 and 25 years older than me. I have osteo-arthritis and have gradually been getting worse in probably the last 5 years, especially the last 2 years. A friend of mine who will be 70 in December quite often jokes with me saying, "wait till you get to our age, then you will really know what it is like". Her husband is 76. I usually reply, "That's what I worry about, I am bad now (55 in July) so hate to think what I will be like when I do reach your age". We usually laugh about it, but seriously, I am worried.

We have a saying here in Australia - "Use it or lose it". In other words, I keep using my hands either knitting or crocheting to try to keep them from stiffening up. Yes, I do take medication for it. I take an anti-inflamatory (Mobic) daily, Caltrate (calcium) daily and extra pain medication when required. As I take so medications each day anyway, I try to keep what I take to a minimum without having to suffer too much.

Going to try the gloves suggested. Was happy to read that you can still do knitting and crocheting with them on.

Almost forgot to say - I HATE MIRRORS especially since having Bells Palsy.

Love to you all, Jenny xxxx :(:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi
I also have very bad ostio Arthritus, I have knitted for 50yrs and love it , but my hands got that bad that i just could'nt do it or other things any more , the doctor said i needed plastic joints , but i said no as this would mean know more knitting ever again . anyway he said there were controlled injections i could have ,you have them under the xray they are called depo injections , go and ask your doctor to referre to hospital and have them , i had them 2yrs ago and they lasted 5mths which was great , know pain at all , only just had them for the second time and after 2wks i am pain free again , knitting like mad. also always use bamboo pins as they do make a big difference . and ask doctor for Ibrufen cream while you are waiting . hope this will help let me know , good luck , Fran

1 - 20 of 255 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom