Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all,

I have completed 5 repeats of Chart 2 and am trying to decide whether to do more of those or to continue on to Chart 2A.

I know what the finished measurements should work out to be with 5 repeats. My question is:

Did any of you do any intermediate measurements? As in at the end of Chart 2? Prior to blocking, of course.

Thanks,
Lynne

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I didn't measure until after I blocked mine, and I did nine repeats because I was using a "heavy" lace weight yarn and didn't want it to be too skimpy. What kind of yarn are you using? A fingering weight?

BTW, there is the Ashton KAL. If you ask this question on there, you are more likely to get some answers more helpful than mine. Here's the KAL link: http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-96942-1.html

Also, you could PM Dee. You'd get the best answer from her.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CathyAnn said:
I didn't measure until after I blocked mine, and I did nine repeats because I was using a "heavy" lace weight yarn and didn't want it to be too skimpy. What kind of yarn are you using? A fingering weight?

BTW, there is the Ashton KAL. If you ask this question on there, you are more likely to get some answers more helpful than mine. Here's the KAL link: http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-96942-1.html

I am using Knitpicks Gloss fingering weight.

The Ashton KAL thread is closed and locked. I have, so far, been through, 67 pages of it and not seen an answer to this question.

But, thanks anyway.

Lynne

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I don't think measuring it before it is blocked would be of any help at all. I know mine only looked like a blob before blocking anyway.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
It's pointless trying to measure it prior to blocking, but I did 7 lots of chart 2 because I wanted it larger than the actual finished size as depicted in the pattern.

lneighbors3 said:
Hi y'all,

I have completed 5 repeats of Chart 2 and am trying to decide whether to do more of those or to continue on to Chart 2A.

I know what the finished measurements should work out to be with 5 repeats. My question is:

Did any of you do any intermediate measurements? As in at the end of Chart 2? Prior to blocking, of course.

Thanks,
Lynne

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
I don't think that measuring before blocking would help you.

I have knit two Ashtons. The first I knit with sock yarn and followed the pattern, so I finished up with the shawlette. I just recently finished my second one, actually using Knitpicks Gloss like you. I decided that I wanted a full size shawl, and so did 7 repeats of chart 2 and then an extra repeat of rows 15-24 of chart 3.

I can't remember seeing this question on the KAL. The current KAL is open. The original one was closed due to size. However, check out this link:
http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-96942-1.html

This is for the current KAL, Ashton shawlette KAL #3.

Sue
lneighbors3 said:
CathyAnn said:

The Ashton KAL thread is closed and locked. I have, so far, been through, 67 pages of it and not seen an answer to this question.

But, thanks anyway.

Lynne

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine looks like a blob, too. But that blob is 26 inches across what will be the top border at the end of 5 repeats of chart 2. The main reason that I am hesitant about doing any more repeats is the depth of the shawl. I guess I will just go ahead and start chart 2a and let the chips fall where they may. If it is not quite big enough, I will have a stunner of a scarf/wrap. I do like the idea of mainly covering shoulders/upper arms with this little shawlette.

Through maundering.

Lynne

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used an fingering weight yarn and did 7 repeats.

I am very glad I did, I don't like them to be too small - 7 was perfect after blocking.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
lneighbors3 said:
CathyAnn said:

But, thanks anyway.

Lynne
The Ashton KAL is not locked and closed! If you click on the link I put in my entry above, it will take you to it! Because the KAL was over 200 pages, admin broke it up into three parts. Parts 1 and 2 are locked, but part 3 is still going. Why don't you check it out???

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
I haven't yet made the Ashton, but I like the looks of the smaller triangular shawls as scarves. I am anxious to make one so I can wear it that way, with the point in front and the ends wrapped around the back and then back to the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom