Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started knitting a baby sweater with what I thought was plenty of yarn. As I was nearly finished with the second sleeve, I realized I would have to do some creative rethinking. After undoing the bottom and eliminating 5 rows, going back and shortening the first sleeve, looking for and finding about 15 inches of left over yarn, and literally having only 24 stitches to bind off, I ran out of yarn.
Oh well, perhaps I will go back to the other sleeve and decrease one or two more rows.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I lost this week as well. I crocheted a blanket with 2 colours. Had to buy another skein of one colour 2.5 rows from end. The last colour I had to start a new skein when I had about 60" of the border to complete. Luckily I had a skein of that colour in my stash.
Got it done though!
Years ago I made a baby blanket for my niece. Short 4 inches! I was able to frog and stitch tighter, made it with about 1" to weave in!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Is anyone going to notice if one sleeve is a row shorter than the other. I very much doubt it. I would just take out the last row and cast pff there, giving you just enough to finish off properly.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just read something this morning about yarn chicken. If you do top down, do the sleeves first and put a design element using another yarn in the body of sweater. If you do sleeves last or separately put the design element in the sleeves, and you can even make them each different as long as all the colors blend. Can use strips, a fair isle pattern for several inches, etc. Hopefully this will take the panic out of some knitting. enjoy!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Sometimes when I have been close to running out, I would just tink back a couple of rows and surprisingly, I had just enough to finish. The yarn must have stretched enough and you didn't notice any difference. Worth a try.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciated all the suggestions offered. I just went back to the arm and eliminated 1 or 2 rows. And I don't think any one or any baby will see any difference in length. But I will keep all the color design elements in mind next time.
Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I get so annoyed with the chicken that I usually overbuy the yarn. This contributes to my stash and leaves me with repair material. Speaking of chicken stash (were we?), I write down my pattern stitches on small cards clipped together with one row per card. Then, of course, I toss them in a bag to keep for next time. After trying to figure out what each clipped set looked like, I took some of my chicken stash (never enough to make a whole anything) and knit up the pattern on a swatch. These get attached to each other and tossed in the bag with a note on where I used it. Still trying to keep organized.

·
Registered
29,287 Posts
I share your pain, I am making a mauve teddy bear and have run out of yarn for the sole of one foot so teddy will have to have pink soles instead.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
jbachman said:
Just read something this morning about yarn chicken. If you do top down, do the sleeves first and put a design element using another yarn in the body of sweater. If you do sleeves last or separately put the design element in the sleeves, and you can even make them each different as long as all the colors blend. Can use strips, a fair isle pattern for several inches, etc. Hopefully this will take the panic out of some knitting. enjoy!
Good ideas!

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
jberg said:
Doesn't that just stink? Hope you can creatively make it work out. And roast that stupid chicken! jberg
Good point! Thanks for the morning smile!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes, You have to knit fast so you'll finish before you run out of yarn!
But seriously, another idea, depending on the design of the sweater, if it's one solid color you can make stripes on the lower part of the sleeve - maybe 2 rows each. Up to the elbow works well

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me too. I am just finishing a very loose knitted shawl with a very very fine super mohair & silk fingering yarn. with lots of loft.
I saw that I was running out of yarn on the cast off, a pretty method that gives a picot edge. So, I used a matching sewing thread to finish the cast off. You would never know!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me too. I am just finishing a very loose knitted shawl with a very very fine super mohair & silk fingering yarn. with lots of loft.
I saw that I was running out of yarn on the cast off, a pretty method that gives a picot edge. So, I used a matching sewing thread to finish the cast off. You would never know!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Your title made me think of the time when I was culling old layer hens, that one escaped, ran full speed to the nest box, and laid an egg. She won, and I still have her.

I lost at yarn chicken a couple of weeks ago and had to order more yarn. I was quite surprised when it was the same dye lot as what I ran out of (I ordered it from a different store - it all depends on who's offering free shipping that week).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom