Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me pointers on how to do this? I cannot find any videos on this and I would do better if I could see someone do it. I don't have a sewing machine, so have to do it by hand. Thanks!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yarn Happy said:
You can knit an I-Cord border.

I could, but I have the same problem as if I crocheted an edge. I have a bumpy edge. I find nothing on the internet that shows me how to attach it to the bumpy edge. I didn't slip the first stitch because I am a beginner and had already started my baby blanket before I learned about it. I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but I'm a beginner, not an experienced knitter and I can't do some of the things everyone is telling me to do. Thank you for the help anyway.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
littlemissxmas said:
I'm wondering if the videos that teach you how to apply binding to a quilt or baby blanket would help you. Reason being and they are made of many textures of fabric also.
I'm not sure, I will look at those. I can figure it out I just have to find out what to attach it with and what type of stitch since I have to do it by hand.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
I made plenty of baby afghans before knowing to slip the first stitch. I did not think the bumpy edge looked bad. I think the slipped stitch looks better after knowing it can be done. So, does it really look bad or do you just think it would have looked better if slipped? Like I said, many of my afghans were done the unslipped way and looked fine.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
m.r.b. said:
I made plenty of baby afghans before knowing to slip the first stitch. I did not think the bumpy edge looked bad. I think the slipped stitch looks better after knowing it can be done. So, does it really look bad or do you just think it would have looked better if slipped? Like I said, many of my afghans were done the unslipped way and looked fine.
It doesn't look bad. Since I am a beginner, the tension is not as great as it could be. I just figured out a better way to hold my yarn. I do plan to wash it since it is acrylic and if I can (don't know if I should, will ask later)or should steam block it. We'll see when it's finished. I would post a picture, but I am afraid people would see any mistakes that I didn't and that to all the experts, they would see imperfections others didn't. I plan to knit a teddy in the same yarn. I have until January to finish both. It will take me that long, now if I can just finish this darn thing so I can start Teddy. Do you slip the first to purl or knit. I like the slip to purl and knit the last stitch of every row. I don't know what that would do to something if I have a pattern though. Just have to wait and see. Thank you for your thoughts, I am just a bit (haha) critical of my own work.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fergablu2 said:
Matching sewing thread and slipstitch or applique stitch.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/7220/how-to-do-a-slipstitch

http://turningturning.com/tutorial-invisible-ladder-stitch-for-quilt-binding/
I appreciate the links, not sure I can do either one, I am pretty thick headed, but we'll see when I get to that point. I do appreciate them though, just wish there was someone around to show me what to do. I have taught my self to knit and sew a very little bit, crochet very little, other then that,I'm clueless. So many talented people here I am out of my element.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
baileysmom said:
fergablu2 said:
Matching sewing thread and slipstitch or applique stitch.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/7220/how-to-do-a-slipstitch

http://turningturning.com/tutorial-invisible-ladder-stitch-for-quilt-binding/
I appreciate the links, not sure I can do either one, I am pretty thick headed, but we'll see when I get to that point. I do appreciate them though, just wish there was someone around to show me what to do. I have taught my self to knit and sew a very little bit, crochet very little, other then that,I'm clueless. So many talented people here I am out of my element.
If you do know how to crochet, you could do a row of shells around the outside. That would be pretty and might give it a nice finish. You can mix crochet and knit in your projects.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
If you're using blanket binding (wide binding folded in half) then you could use a simple mattress stitch with heavier thread to hold it secure, catching both sides at once. If you are using a wider bias tape that is folded in half that kind of tape is usually folded with a small fold for a seam on each side of the tape and then the tape is folded in half. I have done the following: on the wrong side of the blanket stitch down one side of the binding on the small folded seam then fold the binding over the edge of the blanket and top stitch the binding to the blanket. Hope I explained that well enough.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,283 Posts
If you have a local sewing store, they usually have a list of names of people who will do the sewing for you or perhaps someone in the store would be willing to show you how to do the hand stitching.

Good luck.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Baileys Mom, I think you are worrying too much. I felt the same about my first Wrap-with-Love blankie. The squares I made, knitted 'on-the-diagonal' where half was increasing, the other half decreasing, looked OK until I started sewing them together. Then the decreasing/increasing seemed to leave a row of holes. The outside edges were rough.
I had some 'feathers' yarn in a complementary shade, so I used that to blanket-stitch [like a wide buttonhole stitch] around the edges and whip-stitched over the joins between each square. The fluffy feathers yarn looked quite effective.
It took a fair bit of feathers yarn, but gave the blanket a finished look that made me happy with the finished result.
 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kknott4957 said:
If you're using blanket binding (wide binding folded in half) then you could use a simple mattress stitch with heavier thread to hold it secure, catching both sides at once. If you are using a wider bias tape that is folded in half that kind of tape is usually folded with a small fold for a seam on each side of the tape and then the tape is folded in half. I have done the following: on the wrong side of the blanket stitch down one side of the binding on the small folded seam then fold the binding over the edge of the blanket and top stitch the binding to the blanket. Hope I explained that well enough.
Thank you, that does help alot! I don't have the binding yet, but will buy the blanket binding. I watched a video, it shows attaching it with a machine, but I'll be doing it my hand. I will practice first on a swatch. Thanks again for the help.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sally Forth said:
Here is a close-up of the squares.
That is a beautiful blanket. I like the feathers yarn. I'm not that talented, but your right, I am worrying too much and I'm not even done yet. I will wait until its finished before deciding what to do. I'll need a refresher course of my single crochet if I go that route. Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Good luck with your project.

I have been knitting for over 40 years and just heard about slipping the first stitch a year ago... lol... I still don't do it and I've never had a problem. My work always turned out fine.

I have decided that I will do it on my next baby blanket, just to see what it is all about!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Cali said:
Good luck with your project.

I have been knitting for over 40 years and just heard about slipping the first stitch a year ago... lol... I still don't do it and I've never had a problem. My work always turned out fine.

I have decided that I will do it on my next baby blanket, just to see what it is all about!
I should also mention that I sometimes sell my work... and have many requests from people wanting to place orders and willing to pay good prices. They all feel my work looks professional.

I can be pretty hard on myself sometimes as I like to keep my standards high ... you may be just a bit over critical of your own work.

If you don't want to send a picture to the list, you can always send it privately to a member or two for advice.

I do sometimes use the single or double crochet edging, depending on the type of pattern I've used. Sometimes it is better without... sometimes better with...

Oh... and WELCOME to the list! I'm fairly new too...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Are you wanting to put a fabric boarder on your item?

I taught/teach quilting (piecing) for years and had my own quilt shop. If it's fabric you are talking about this is how I taught it:

If that is what you are doing let me know and I can probably help walk you through it.

In stitches
Linda
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom