Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a method for preventing twists and tangles when knitting with two strands of yarn? I have tried butting them together in a yarn holder, putting them into separate holders, as well as feeding the end through a straw to keep the balls separated. None of the above were effective and I spent more time untangling than knitting.

Also, why would a pattern specify using two strands rather than changing the yarn weight such as change from sport to bulky?

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
As for your second question.... that is something to ask the designer. I have used two strands, different weights when I was going for a particular effect for the colors....
Like a sport weight variegated or stripe with a solid DK or worsted.... (sometimes switching the solid colors to coordinate with the other) and it results in an interesting tweed effect

First question.... I use ziplock bags for each yarn. I also pay close attention to the direction that I am turning my work when I go from right side to wrong side.
If I always turn one way (say right to left) on the right side and the other on the wrong side, the yarns do not twist around each other and become tangled.... at least so much.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I'm guessing from the last part of your question that you are knitting with two strands held together as one, not stranded or intarsia knitting. Usually you do this to get additional texture or color to your project. You can just change the yarn weight but it may not have the same look, feel or uniquenss as the original pattern.

As far as tangling.. if I'm knitting two strands together as one, I just let them tangle. part of the texture is letting them twist on themselves a bit to see them as one single yarn. If it gets too tangled, I just dangle the project and let it untwist.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I have had the best luck by putting the balls in separate containers, but there is still some untangling to do.You can first wind the two yarns together in a ball, but I am not fond of this because sometimes one yarn gets ahead of the other. I have a spinning wheel and the best way is to ply the two yarns together. This of course depends on fiber and type of yarns you are using together. The reason some designers might do this is because it is the yarn they have to use for a project. And they may prefer a heavier yarn to work with. Other times they put together to entirely different yarns for a new look, in doing that, my take is you have to use those yarns or you will never get the same look. Most designers work for yarn companies, and after all everyone is there to make money.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
knit bunny said:
If you are knitting the two together, you might want to just make them into one ball of yarn. You would deal with it before you get going on your knitting.
I've done this before, when using two strands held together. It takes a little more time at the very beginning to prepare, and will seem unnecessary if you're using pre-wound skeins, but you'll save yourself a lot of frustration on the knitting side once you get started. Be mindful that you may have to turn one or both of the skeins a time or two (or three) to keep it from twisting while you're winding, but if you watch for it, it's not so likely to catch you off guard.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank all of you for the responses and suggestions. I think that winding the two skeins together in the beginning, while tedious, will be the best choice for me. I do see a ball winder in my near future if any more of these projects work themselves to the top of my project list.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It's almost comical how timely this topic was. I saw the topic this morning. Went shopping for the yarn I needed to knit a Moses basket type doll bed for my granddaughter. I knit with the two strands for about 30 minutes before running back to KP to see what the best advice was. Even though I had already knit a few rows, I stopped, wound the two skeins into one ball and now am much happier. Working great. Thank you KP friends.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Maybe 2 strands are suggested so you can use 2 different colours to make it look like a tweed.

When using 2 or more strands, I find it quicker and easier to wind the balls together before I start. Then the knitting job is shorter and the yarn is less likely to knit up poorly. I can also find out where any joins are.

I like to make scarves in 3 colours e.g. black/navy/grey or black/dark brown/light brown for a man.

I recently bought 1kg of a fairly thin variegated yarn in dark brown/rust/light brown/white. I decided to wind 3 balls together to make scarves. This also works well if you're not sure of the dye lots.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
dragonfly7673 said:
I'm guessing from the last part of your question that you are knitting with two strands held together as one, not stranded or intarsia knitting. Usually you do this to get additional texture or color to your project. You can just change the yarn weight but it may not have the same look, feel or uniquenss as the original pattern.

As far as tangling.. if I'm knitting two strands together as one, I just let them tangle. part of the texture is letting them twist on themselves a bit to see them as one single yarn. If it gets too tangled, I just dangle the project and let it untwist.
Yes, I am a dangler as well.

·
Registered
42,303 Posts
Even keeping the yarn in separate holders it will eventually twist, due to your turning at the end of the row. When you get to the end of a row turn one way, when you get to the end of the next row turn your work the other way.

That will prevent it from twisting, since if you turn the same way all the time there is no way for it not to twist.

Not sure why designers use two strands rather then a yarn of a thicker weight.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
sheedyone said:
Is there a method for preventing twists and tangles when knitting with two strands of yarn? I have tried butting them together in a yarn holder, putting them into separate holders, as well as feeding the end through a straw to keep the balls separated. None of the above were effective and I spent more time untangling than knitting.

Also, why would a pattern specify using two strands rather than changing the yarn weight such as change from sport to bulky?
You are supposed to let them twist together, if you are using two strands together. The reason for not changing the yarn weight is because either the colour or the fibre content is not available in the thicker yarn. Or, in some cases, two different colours are used together to get a different overall look.

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
I also use the two separate zip lock bags...first I wind each skein into a ball. This does help, I think. And it is also help to try to keep track of the tangle before it gets to be a real tangled mess. And Yes turning the work back and then forth with each row will totally avoid the twisting.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Lorikeet said:
Yes, I am a dangler as well.
Dangling is my way, unless there is a compelling reason to re-wind the yarn.
I've also "made yarn" by winding threads together to get a thicker yarn to work with. :sm06:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom