Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emmett here! Just a quick question regarding the brim of the hat I am making, I am on row 12 of the hat and so far it measures
1.5 inches, I’m using size 4.5 mm DPN€™s and I’€™m using an Aran weight wool/acrylic mix yarn. The pattern calls for 12 more rows of 2x2 ribbing for the brim of the hat. Does this seem too large for a hat brim to anyone? I appreciate the input!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I remember thinking the same thing when I was making one. I think they call for a longer brim so when it's folded up, it won't cover any of the details of the pattern. It's a really nice hat, my GD loved it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Magna84 said:
I remember thinking the same thing when I was making one. I think they call for a longer brim so when it's folded up, it won't cover any of the details of the pattern. It's a really nice hat, my GD loved it.
I can't wait to finish it, my local yarn shop owner suggested I make the sheep green because she's weird like that. Haha!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have moved away from the folded brims. I mainly knit for kids and they rarely take the time to fold the brim. Instead, I knit double the length of the brim called for in the pattern and join it to the body of the cap. It makes it warm and nice looking.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
It really depends on whether you want to fold the brim up or not,how deep you make the rib

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
I go by measurements and not rows for the brims of hats.
Baby/Toddler hats I work it to 1-1½". Child hats I work it 2-3". Adults hats I work it to 3-4". Older children and adults tend to like the brims folded over for double warmth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom