Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started knitting a baby afghan w/'A Pound of Love' worsted weight yarn & size 11 needles as called for in a pattern out of Leisure Art's 'Our Best Knit Baby Afghans' called 'Patchwork Pleaser' containing lots of yo's & 2tog sts except that after abt 20 rows I didn't like how this yarn stiching was coming out, which was not like the picture. So I switched to the recently acquired (thanks to Anita) Alpaca yarn from Smiley's recent online sale & sixe 8 needles, but, that didn't come out as 'dense' as in the picture. I'm thinking maybe I should use a double strand of the "A pound of llove' although acrylic, it may be more suitable for a baby's need of frequent washing; but, I want to achieve an elegant look so maybe wool or Alpaca. Meanwhile, I've taken everything apart and throwing myself at your mercy for help on what yarn should I use to make it look elegant & hold up well b/c of all the yo's & 2 tog sts. If anyone has worked w/Smileys 100% pure Alpaca, please let me know how u used it too. Thanks so much for any help as I am a soon to be grandmother for the first time and this has brought me to a grinding halt.
Your advice & feedback has been so inspirational & I am sooo happy I am a member of this forum. Yona

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
I always use synthetics for gifts, baby to adults....we have a lot of allergies in our family and this does away with that worry...then, too, the washing is paramount for a baby....

the elegance factor can be as simple as an edging knitted separately and added...or a deep rich color...we have all blonde babies...those pastels wash them out....i like reds and navy... you know it'll last a lot longer between washing and the kids look great on them, too....also, dads like things that are not so 'babyish'...i found most dads hated hats till i found a little football helmet style...then they're okay...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used to use double strands of Bernat's Softee Baby with bigger needles...was soooooo soft and the balnket I made for my youngest (1 yr two weeks ago) has been washed at least 100 times (there wasn't a diaper out there that could contain this ones butt!! LOL) Unfortunately I can't find Softee Baby at Walmart anymore and don't want to pay full price so I've switched to Caron Simply Soft. It looks great...I hope it holds up as well as it looks! Good Luck!
Julie

·
Registered
46,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Julie, I'll go ck out this yarn. I contacted the publisher of this knitting book & they did respond today saying they used Red Heart Super Saver & I also suggested that it would be a good idea if they were more specific on what yarns they used for each of the patterns.

Btw, I wait for the local coupons for Joanne's to come out where I buy stuff for 40-50% off. Not sure if there's a Joanne's in your city, but worth checking out. I also buy yarn on Ebay which is a big savings, especially the ones that offer 'free shipping.' Thanks again. Yona

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes! And now they have digital coupons for your cell phone!! I don't get their mailers (although I've signed up several times??) so I stopped going there since you can't get coupons online...I did all my yarn shopping at Hobby Lobby (other than Walmart's limited supply) which is twice as far...I was there last week with one of these digital coupons on my phone...I threw the cashier for a loop...she didn't know they had them available...looked at me like I was CRAZY! LOL - I'll definitely have to start going there again! And I've never seen free shipping on eBay yarn - that's what's held me back from buying yarn on there...I'll have to keep my eyes open! Thanks!!!
Julie

·
Registered
835 Posts
I make a lot of baby blankets and I use Lion Brand Pound of Love and combine it with Bernat Baby Cordinates, knitting with 2 strands . It makes a nice soft baby blanket. When knitting with two strands of yarn I use a size 13 circular needle.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
Hi,
I wouldn't use alpaca for the baby blanket. It will look awesome until Mom or the sitter tosses it into the washer and dryer.
Caron Simply soft works nicely, use 2 strands and 11 or 13 needles.
Good luck and congrad
Linda

·
Registered
46,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When u go to Ebay looking for yarn, 'sort' by low cost & shipping' first & this way u pay no shipping at all. Most of the free shipping is for yarn from China which I received the order this week & it is really great. Just a little smelly from the dye so I've let them hang over a chair or other furniture to air out a bit. Yona

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Acrylic yarn is not a good choice for blankets, especially for infants and children. When acrylic burns it melts..and causes horrible burns, it doesn't meet fire safety standards for sleepwear or bedding, unless the yarn has been treated (never have read that any of it is).

A "superwash" wool would be a safer choice.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
jkruse1971 said:
Oh snap!! I forgot to add that Red Heart is pretty scratchy in my opinion...I don't know that I'd want a baby blanket made with that one...(picky picky picky - lol)
Red Heart does feel scratchy when you first feel it in the skein and working with it. But after the first wash, it does soften up.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks for the tip! That's good to know - I have a bunch that I bought when I was first learning and it's just sitting in my closet...I'll have to give it another chance!
Julie
galaxycraft said:
jkruse1971 said:
Oh snap!! I forgot to add that Red Heart is pretty scratchy in my opinion...I don't know that I'd want a baby blanket made with that one...(picky picky picky - lol)
Red Heart does feel scratchy when you first feel it in the skein and working with it. But after the first wash, it does soften up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In using the Super Wash Wool, what size needle would you use and would that be with 2 strands?
I finished a baby blanket that was made up of colors of yarn, where you knitted in the colors. I would have to cut the yarn, tie off and continue with a new color. When i got done there were two problems. One the back side looked terrible and the other was that even though i weaved the end into the knitting, they would come out, so i had stubs. The front side looked great.
So i am thinking of knitting a back side and then tieing them together, like a quilt and making a border...any ideas?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yep, I should've been more specific...I do use Red Heart Baby (I believe it's TLC) and that's very soft. But I find Red Heart Super Saver to be stiff and scratchy. However, before I bad-mouth it any more I'm going to try again and wash as suggested! OOOPS!
Julie = )

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom