Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter in law chose a baby blanket for me to make that has sheep around the border and two sections in the middle with moons and stars. I don't want to carry too much yarn on the wrong side because it should look pretty much the same on both sides - and I don't want his little feet to get caught in excess yarn. I only have two months - HELP!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Perhaps you could put a backing (lining) on it (the blanket) or work the sheep, moon and stars in the duplicate stitch when finished?

Good luck & HAND!
~~~~~~~
cheqsmom said:
My daughter in law chose a baby blanket for me to make that has sheep around the border and two sections in the middle with moons and stars. I don't want to carry too much yarn on the wrong side because it should look pretty much the same on both sides - and I don't want his little feet to get caught in excess yarn. I only have two months - HELP!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hi

I did a train blanket for my grandson. I knitted it and then cross stitched the trains and my grandson's name on it. It looked beautiful on the front but the back was less than desireable. I went and got fleece material (something boyish) measured it out and hand sewed it around the edges of the train blanket. After I was done I went around the entire blanket in crochet. My daughter just loved it.

Linda
(Sebastian-Fla)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't something I can stitch over after it's complete. I used to own a needlework store and still can't figure this out. Could I separate sections of the sections with small balls of each color without making a mess? Is there a place I can post this picture so people can see what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
336 Posts
when I work with many colors I uselong strips of the colors when changing instead of bobbins. I find bobbins tangle easily and the long strips of yarn (about 2 yards) are very easy to untangle and much lighter weight, this way you can pick up the new color more often with very little carry over. This works well for crochet and should work for knitting also.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I saw this pattern recently. My first impression: "Wow. Lots of bobbins needed for this one!" I have done intricate intarsia projects that involved hanging many, many bobbins to avoid carrying the yarn too far. If you keep them short (close to the work) they don't tangle as often.
The only place I have found bobbins for sale is A.C. Moore.
I agree with your concern about the baby getting tangled in the yarn. I avoid lacy baby blankets for the same reason.
Good luck. Be patient. Make sure you post a photo of your finished work!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Try weaving the unused yarn as you knit - alternately over and under the working thread.
On the purl row, you can check that the yarn is woven in such a way that 'columns' do not form.
Weaving isn't always necessary over small areas - 3 or 4 stitches.

By the way, some baby socks were made with longish loose yarns, into which toes became caught, and were damaged. Manufacturers are prohibited from this rather lazy, cheap method of carrying yarn

Grosvenor

·
Registered
32 Posts
they have something called a knitting bobbin you wind the colors of the yarns you need around them, this takes the place of having to many balls of wool all tangled up, your knitting or craft shop should have them. they are packed either 3 or 4 to a package.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Just a hint: You can make your own bobbins..cut a 1 1/4" square piece of card board or thin plastic..cut 2 diagonal slits in top and bottom. Voila! bobbins! Am sure this not new to some of you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can post a picture with your message. Just below the message box you will see "F/picture attachments:" Just click on "Browse" and it will take you to your personal file directory. Select your pictures (one at a time)! Then you will have a visual for all of us to view!
Good luck!
Donna Victoria
VictoriaCrochet.etsy.com

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
hildy3 said:
Just a hint: You can make your own bobbins..cut a 1 1/4" square piece of card board or thin plastic..cut 2 diagonal slits in top and bottom. Voila! bobbins! Am sure this not new to some of you.
Those bread tag closures work well too.

·
Registered
687 Posts
No matter how you decide to handle the change of yarn the back is going to be a problem for the baby. I would knit another plain piece and put the 2 together with a nice edging. You could even just put a 2 or 3 inch boarder on the second side. It wouldn't require carrying any yarn and would coordinate the 2 sides. When I saw that pattern I loved it, but quickly decided I couldn't handle it. Be sure to let us know what you decide and don't forget a picture.
Good Luck.

Elaine

·
Registered
687 Posts
No matter how you decide to handle the change of yarn the back is going to be a problem for the baby. I would knit another plain piece and put the 2 together with a nice edging. You could even just put a 2 or 3 inch boarder on the second side. It wouldn't require carrying any yarn and would coordinate the 2 sides. When I saw that pattern I loved it, but quickly decided I couldn't handle it. Be sure to let us know what you decide and don't forget a picture.
Good Luck.

Elaine

·
Registered
730 Posts
Try taking each motif separately, breaking the yarn between each one, that way you're not carrying yarn over a large area. If its still not neat enough, the backing suggestion is a good one, makes the blanket even more cosy - you could use fleece, which is easy to work with and doesn't fray.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How would you feel about backing the baby afghan with something lighter than fleece, i.e. a washable silky type of material? Then you could quilt stitch in the motifs so the outline would appear on the silky side, and that stitching would also hold the backing nicely in place. I think that might create a real work of art...if you are up to the task!

·
Registered
687 Posts
VictoriaCrochet said:
How would you feel about backing the baby afghan with something lighter than fleece, i.e. a washable silky type of material? Then you could quilt stitch in the motifs so the outline would appear on the silky side, and that stitching would also hold the backing nicely in place. I think that might create a real work of art...if you are up to the task!
I like your idea better than mind. Hope she decides to use it. Nice work.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well that's so nice of you to say so. But I think all the ideas have been good, just depends on what you want for a finished product. This project is ambitious not matter how you slice it, but it will be a family heirloom once it's done, I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom