Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I am using a pattern that is older than me (which is saying a lot). Its a british pattern and i've run into a problem. I've already worked the first 22 rows so don't want to have to start again. The first 18 rows varied between 44 and 50 stitches. The next row (19) reduced the stiches to 38. Row 20 was purl. Row 21 was sl1, *k1, wl.fwd., k2 tog., repeat from * to the last st., k1 so i should still have 38? Row 22 was purl. Then it talks about shaping the instep.
1st row - sl1, k24 turn
2nd row - sl1, p10, k1 turn
Work 16 rows in st.st. On these 12 sts to form the instep.
Here in lies my dilema, i have 13 stiches one needle and 25 on the other? Which side am i working the stiches on?
The rest of the pattern confuses me more.
After working the 16 st.st rows it says break off the wool.
With the right side of the wool facing, rejoin the wool (how do i do this?) to the instep end of the first 13 sts. Which were left, pick up and knit 14 sts. (From where?) Evenly along the right side of the instep, knit across the 12 instep sts, pick up (again from where) and knit 14 sts evenly along the left side of the instep, knit across the remaining 13 sts. (66 sts).
This does not make sense to me and any help would be awsome. I have a friend and a collegue that are pregnant and would like to give them both booties, bonnets, and mittens.
Thank you,

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
You are working the 12 stitches that are at the start of the 25 - the middle stitches which will cover the instep of the baby's foot. So you will have 13 sts on each side of the 12 that are unworked at this stage.

When you have knitted the 16 rows on these sts, you will have a kind of tongue that sticks out in the middle. Break the yarn and go back to where you started to knit the tongue.
Pick up and knit stitches along the edge (you rejoin the yarn by knitting the first new stitch with it - leave enough of an end to weave in later) - you are picking up loops from the edge stitches from the 16 rows - they are not live stitches.

Then knit across the live sts at the end of the instep, then pick up a second set along the other side of the tongue, then finally knit across the last 13 sts. You now have a full row across all sts. It will be pretty bunched up in the middle until you do a few rows on all sts.

Good pictures here of what you are trying to do - about the sixth photo down: https://pursuitofhobbiness.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/grandmas-knit-baby-booties-step-by-step/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom