Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a question about sewing buttons on knitted garments. Of course, all of the wonderful knitters on this site came back immediately with all kinds of suggestions. I also viewed some videos about placing a smaller button at the back of the front button for more stability. In the past, I usually just stitched one button on the front. Pictured here are the front, back and inside of the baby cardigan that I did with the two-button method. I didn't have clear buttons for the back so I used a small white button and then only had 5 so that last one doesn't have two buttons.

Attachments

· Registered
158 Posts
For knit items I attempted to get buttons with a shank ( I think that is correct term, but it is a little plastic or metal piece on the underside of the button) For the button on the inside I got ones the same color as the sweater. I wrapped thread around the shank on the outside button. Thus opening and closing the sweater was easy. Your sweater was just beautiful. I have returned to knitting after a 40 year hiatus, keeps our fingers and our minds nimble.

· Registered
18,366 Posts
Lois C. said:
I recently posted a question about sewing buttons on knitted garments. Of course, all of the wonderful knitters on this site came back immediately with all kinds of suggestions. I also viewed some videos about placing a smaller button at the back of the front button for more stability. In the past, I usually just stitched one button on the front. Pictured here are the front, back and inside of the baby cardigan that I did with the two-button method. I didn't have clear buttons for the back so I used a small white button and then only had 5 so that last one doesn't have two buttons.
Turned out great!!!

· Registered
253 Posts
When I make the first stitch to anchor the button, I insert a straight pin under it; I continue to sew on button, when I finish this step, wrap thread around between button and garment, anchor on back side-remove pin. Has never failed. I try to use embroidery thread to match garment for sewing on buttons. Have quite a stash left from counted cross stitch. Just another idea for attaching buttons.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom