Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice from experienced knitters.

I have made a baby cocoon, that is stockinette stitch with a roll brim.

I would like to make the matching hat. But do not have a pattern, I have never made a hat for an infant and am wondering how many stitches I should cast on.

Here is a link to a picture of what I have made for the cocoon. Someone had posted it here. I did PM her, but did not get a reply. So I am putting it out here for all of you to help.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-27349-1.html

I have found some patterns that are similar to what I have in mind. However, they each instruct to cast on a lot more stitches, which would make the hat huge, using my current yarn & needles. If I use the same needles as I did for the cocoon. My gauge is 4 inches per stitch. I was thinking I should cast on about 44 stitches, which should make the circumference about 11 inches--allowing 1-1 1/2 inches for stretch. Am I thinking correctly, or should I use a smaller needle?

Also, since it is a roll brim hat, I know I should allow for an extra inch or two for the length. Does anyone have any advice for approximately what length I should knit before I start my decreases? I was thinking about 4-4.5 inches. Is this correct or is this way off?

If I cast on 44 stitches, I was thinking of decreasing 4 times in the round (knit 10 stitches, knit two together) repeat to end of round. Should I place a row of just knitting en between my decrease rows (so I would alternate 1 row of decreases & 1 row of knit)? Or once I start my decreasing, do I just follow the decreasing pattern until I have 4 stitches left and then make the i-cord for the top?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grandma D,
That is where I found the dimensions that I needed for a newborn hat. I saw many patterns, but not exactly what will match the cocoon.

I did stop at my LYS today. She suggested that I switch to a size 8 needles. (For the cocoon, I used size 10.5 needles). I am trying it first with a cast-on of 48 stitches and I guess I will see how things go from there.

I have always followed a pattern and am new to "openness," but I think I will be able to figure things out.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
If you are making a rolled brim you measure from the roll (do not pull straight.) I would knit for 4.5 inches. Your decreases will begin with k 6 , k2 tog. Knit one plain without decreasing, then k5, k2tog, knit one row plain, etc. Until you get the number of stitches you want for the I cord. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Purl Diva,
Do you think that 4.5 inches (not including the rolling) before beginning the decreases make the hat too long? If I have 48 stitches, the decrease rows would take 16 rows. I have never made a hat for a newborn and am not sure. I was thinking of making it 4.5 inches, with the roll unfolded, knowing that 1-1.5 inches will be lost due to the curling. Now I am not so sure....does my question make sense?

It is actually for a premie, (set of twins--so I get to do this again). They were born Dec. 22nd. But will be coming home from the hospital by Valentine's Day. So this is their "welcome home" present). They are currently over 5 pounds. So I am thinking that although they were born small and early....when they come home, they should be close to an average sized newborn (if there is such a thing). That is why I am making a newborn size (not premie). But this is my first experience with baby hats and although the pattern is simple, the sizing is leaving me with many questions.

You will never know how much I appreciate your help and input.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I knitted a baby hat that looked like what you want. Pattern was in Stitch'n bitch book. called umbilical cord hat.
size infant to 6 months. US 7 circular needle & US7 dpn
Using cir. needle cast on 64 st.. K 1 row. join ends. knit until hat meas. 5" from the CO row.
Next row: *K8, pm: rep. from * to end.
You should have 8 groups of 8 sts. between 7 markers. With a dpn, k 16 sts off the cir. needle & onto the dpn, being careful to slip the st. marker between the sts: rep from * 3 times more; This is longer than I thought, if interested email me and I will complete for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom