Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of new here, and this is my first post. (I've been reading this for a year but only just started posting.) As I mentioned before, I'm making baby stuff for my college best friend and his wife because they are having their first children - twins! So, I've been working on a baby cocoon using the Petite Pep Squad Cocoon Knitting Pattern from Red Heart. It calls for Worsted but I'm using some discontinued Bernat from my stash, I think is sport, but pretty close. I used US8 and checked my gauge from my swatch and it's a tiny small. But, the mom is a doctor and she said the babies will be smaller than normal. The gauge was only off by about 1/16 of an inch. Anyway, here's my situation: I just want to make sure it seems big enough for a baby! My husband and I don't have children yet, and although I've got 27 first cousins of which I am the oldest, I'm still doubting my instinct that it's fine. Here's the pattern:

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/petite-pep-squad-cocoon

Here's the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
It looks very stretchy. Good size twins would be around 5 lbs. each probably, so they should work. If you're that worried, they sell baby dolls that are the size of your average newborn. My mom got one for my autistic son before his brother was born. It was creepily realistic, but my son enjoyed biting it's rubber head. Don't worry, he was super gentle with his actual little brother.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fergablu2 said:
It looks very stretchy. Good size twins would be around 5 lbs. each probably, so they should work. If you're that worried, they sell baby dolls that are the size of your average newborn. My mom got one for my autistic son before his brother was born. It was creepily realistic, but my son enjoyed biting it's rubber head. Don't worry, he was super gentle with his actual little brother.
It is pretty stretchy actually - so I guess I'll keep going! It's abou 8.5 inches now, and it's supposed to be 19.5 before I start the decreasing. I thought if the circumference wouldn't work I could convert it into something else before it got too long.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AmyKnits said:
Looks nice and stretchy. I can see by looking at your measurements that you are good to go. Will be great for a newborn and looks like it will fit for a few months!
Thanks! I hope so! It may not be cold to everyone, but our 12-22 degree winters and the occasional "blizzard" of four - six feet and days of ice and snow are cold enough for us Texans!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom