Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a tv channel on direct tv called babyfirst. It is geared toward 1yr olds to maybe 3 yr olds. I have a 1 yr old granddaughter and she watches this channel. It is teaching her shapes colors animals...you name it. It is a godsend on the days I am in pain from FMS. Check it out it is a great channel.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Sprout is great too, when he was just a little guy-maybe 9 months old my great-nephew and I would sit on the couch, cuddle and watch the Wiggles. He would sing and dance, doing the hand movements. Then he started going to day care and they "hate" the Wiggles. They made fun of him so he quit. Kind of sad really that peer pressure starts at 2.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smontero237 said:
Sprout is great too, when he was just a little guy-maybe 9 months old my great-nephew and I would sit on the couch, cuddle and watch the Wiggles. He would sing and dance, doing the hand movements. Then he started going to day care and they "hate" the Wiggles. They made fun of him so he quit. Kind of sad really that peer pressure starts at 2.
Yea that is scary...peer pressure at 2?!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Poor sprout . . I think I would have to go to that day care and ask them since when did it become OK to belittle children. How mean they are and it begs the question are they fit to be in charge if they are unable to 'keep the peace' amongst bairns.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tulliver said:
Poor sprout . . I think I would have to go to that day care and ask them since when did it become OK to belittle children. How mean they are and it begs the question are they fit to be in charge if they are unable to 'keep the peace' amongst bairns.
Too true. that is why I moved to be with my grandchild I didnt want her in daycare.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
smontero237 said:
I also question if this is a good place for him but I guess it is at ths house of a family friend of her husband and very affordable. At least the Wiggles is educational, they watch Cars, Toy Story and Peter Pan.
Well yea since it is a family friend, I wouldnt be too worried.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I am not worried about his safety or anything but he is such a bright little guy. I would like to see him go to a more structured day care but I know the cost would be prohibitive. I keep him once a week and my sister - his Grandma - keeps him another. Even if it was possible for his mom to stay home (can't due to finances) I think if a child doesn't go to preschool they are at a disadvantage when it comes to kindergarten since now most kids do go to preschool I hope he can go next year. But I still love the Wiggles and wish he would watch them with me!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My daughter will make sure her daughter goes to headstart. We know it is good for her to be around other children so we do play dates. For all the reasons you stated are the same for my daughter. I am disabled so it was not a problem for me to move to GA to help her. I hope you get more Wiggles huggles also :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Wow that is so neat that they have that channel. When my kids were little they liked Barney and Teletubbies. Then I did home daycare and had a little boy who loved The Wiggles. I'm glad to see that tv people realize that children need stimulating television

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
smontero237 said:
My 2 1/2 year old GD watches Sprout. She loves it alot. When I did licnessed home day care the Wiggles were the top thing on the agenda for the morning. I bought videos of their shows and they would have fun dancing and singing to the songs. I like the original cast and just saw they are having a reunion tour of the original cast. But not sure if they will stay together. I am not ashamed to admitt I love the Wiggles!!!!! :wink: :) :) :)

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
smontero237 said:
I am not worried about his safety or anything but he is such a bright little guy. I would like to see him go to a more structured day care but I know the cost would be prohibitive. I keep him once a week and my sister - his Grandma - keeps him another. Even if it was possible for his mom to stay home (can't due to finances) I think if a child doesn't go to preschool they are at a disadvantage when it comes to kindergarten since now most kids do go to preschool I hope he can go next year. But I still love the Wiggles and wish he would watch them with me!
When I did livnessed home day care I had it pretty structured. I would work with the kids that were going into kindergarden the following year with their colors, numbers, letters and get them ready for kindergarden. And have some pages that they would do to see if they could follow instructions. They learned how to cut with paper and stuff. Parents were happy for the service that I provided. For the littler ones we did the paper cutting, matching pictures and pasteing them on the right picture, practice coujnting, coloring and so on. I spent time coming up with things for them to learn to do week by week. The day was totally filled. Almost everything I did was a learning thing whether they knew they were learning or not. It was fun and to see how the kids progressed as their time with me went on was very rewarding.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
sam0767 said:
smontero237 said:
When I did licnessed home day care I had it pretty structured. I would work with the kids that were going into kindergarden the following year with their colors, numbers, letters and get them ready for kindergarden. And have some pages that they would do to see if they could follow instructions. They learned how to cut with paper and stuff. Parents were happy for the service that I provided. For the littler ones we did the paper cutting, matching pictures and pasteing them on the right picture, practice coujnting, coloring and so on. I spent time coming up with things for them to learn to do week by week. The day was totally filled. Almost everything I did was a learning thing whether they knew they were learning or not. It was fun and to see how the kids progressed as their time with me went on was very rewarding.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
sam0767 said:
smontero237 said:
My 2 1/2 year old GD watches Sprout. She loves it alot. When I did licnessed home day care the Wiggles were the top thing on the agenda for the morning. I bought videos of their shows and they would have fun dancing and singing to the songs. I like the original cast and just saw they are having a reunion tour of the original cast. But not sure if they will stay together. I am not ashamed to admitt I love the Wiggles!!!!! :wink: :) :) :)
I live in Northern CA and the Wiggles just played here a couple months ago but by the time we found out we couldn't get seats together.

My sister (the Grandma) and I realized we were watching too much of the Wiggles when we found ourselves discussing which Wiggle was cuter! I like Anthony and she liked Greg!

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
I'm looking after my 7 month old granddaughter, part time. When she's tired I put the tv on to watch any of the good baby programmes. It calms her down and to my mind watching for a short time is as good as reading a book to her. Funny story, her dad is a police officer and one day at work he was humming a song from one of these programmes. Two other colleagues joined in, then burst out laughing when they realised they all had very young kids!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
inishowen said:
I'm looking after my 7 month old granddaughter, part time. When she's tired I put the tv on to watch any of the good baby programmes. It calms her down and to my mind watching for a short time is as good as reading a book to her. Funny story, her dad is a police officer and one day at work he was humming a song from one of these programmes. Two other colleagues joined in, then burst out laughing when they realised they all had very young kids!
My daughter, son in law and myself find that we all hum the babies songs. Too funny!

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
gma11331 said:
when my kids were little it was Capt. Kangeroo and then Sesame Street. Son went nuts over Big Bird. My DD loved the Pillsbury Dough Boy from the commercial...
Sesame Street has been on for many many years. When my oldest son (now 34) was just a baby I would put him in his bouncy seat and let him watch the show. He was just a infant. But the colors and music would entertain him while I got some things done.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
inishowen said:
Same thing happened to me. Friend and I were out shopping and she was humming Fruit Salad song and I was bobbing my head along. We had a good laugh.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
maur1011 said:
inishowen said:
Same thing happened to me. Friend and I were out shopping and she was humming Fruit Salad song and I was bobbing my head along. We had a good laugh.
LOL!! The Wiggles do have a catchy way with their songs. The one that seems to walk in my head is Rock A By. I now that one by heart and all my day care kids could do all the motions to it when we sang it. Even the 1 year olds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom