Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I just joined the group this morning. If you have read my profile you know that I have decided to knit just flat things.

I am knitting dish cloths using Aunt Lydia's 100% mercerized cotton crochet thread #3, and a size 5 knitting needle. Like the way the dish cloth looks and feels, but would like more color choices. Bamboo crochet thread offers more varieties.

My question is: Can bamboo thread be safely used for dish cloths?

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Bamboo will be fine to use.

However, I don't recommend mercerized cotton - the process to mercerize it makes it less absorbant. I prefer plain old cotton, like Peaches & Cream, LB Kitchen Cotton, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do like the mercerized thread for the dish cloths, and the Sugar n' Cream for the wash cloths.
I was looking for a multi-colored thread to use for dish cloths, and so far have not found any in the 100% cotton Aunt Lydia.
I thought I saw some multi-colored bamboo thread. However, in checking further all of the bamboo thread seems to be "silk" bamboo.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Walmart carries Peaches and Cream cotton yarn. This is the less expensive alternative to Lily's Sugar and Cream. There are some lovely variegated colors. If you don't find it there, check the Peaches and Cream website. Lots and lots of colors.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Barbara D. said:
I do like the mercerized thread for the dish cloths, and the Sugar n' Cream for the wash cloths.
I was looking for a multi-colored thread to use for dish cloths, and so far have not found any in the 100% cotton Aunt Lydia.
I thought I saw some multi-colored bamboo thread. However, in checking further all of the bamboo thread seems to be "silk" bamboo.
Aunt Lydia's does have verigated thread. I made a doily out of this one and it is gorgeous: http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/423339.html This website has lots of different ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bamboo-cotton blend is fine to use. I use it for dish cloths, body/face cloths, and also hair elastic covers/scrunchies. Oh, and coasters, they're very absorbent, soft and versatile. Plus they dry quickly so won't harbour bacteria IMHO. Wondering what else I can use it for....
Cheers,
Suze.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
peachy51 said:
Barbara D. said:
Aunt Lydia's does have verigated thread. I made a doily out of this one and it is gorgeous: http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/423339.html This website has lots of different ones.
Again. Yea!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
piscesangel1978 said:
Bamboo-cotton blend is fine to use. I use it for dish cloths, body/face cloths, and also hair elastic covers/scrunchies. Oh, and coasters, they're very absorbent, soft and versatile. Plus they dry quickly so won't harbour bacteria IMHO. Wondering what else I can use it for....
Cheers,
Suze.
Thanks. Good to know that someone is using it for dish cloths. My latest knitting obsession.
Barbara D.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
piscesangel1978 said:
Cheers,
Suze.
Another question.
Does your bamboo-cotton blend also have "silk" written on the label?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Barbara D. said:
piscesangel1978 said:
Cheers,
Suze.
Another question.
No it doesn't. Silk is sold separately where I shop here in Brisbane Australia. There are silk blends but I've never seen bamboo/cotton/silk...

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I have some varigated #10 but its all one color way... not multi colored.. I'm not sure if there is any out there..
Barbara D. said:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
piscesangel1978 said:
Barbara D. said:
piscesangel1978 said:
Cheers,
Suze.
Another question.
No it doesn't. Silk is sold separately where I shop here in Brisbane Australia. There are silk blends but I've never seen bamboo/cotton/silk...
Australia!!! OMG. I am so jealous.
But, thanks for the info. I will look for bamboo, cotton. My horoscope says, don't leave the house today. Don't go shopping. Don't spend any money. Guess what? I'm doin' it. I'm leaving the house, I'm shopping for bamboo cotton, I'm (probably) spending money.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
paljoey46 said:
Walmart carries Peaches and Cream cotton yarn. This is the less expensive alternative to Lily's Sugar and Cream. There are some lovely variegated colors. If you don't find it there, check the Peaches and Cream website. Lots and lots of colors.
The original Peaches and Cream sold by WalMart was made in North Carolina by a family-owned company using all long-staple cotton (in contrast to Lily's Sugar N Cream, which is made with short ends and leftovers and is much coarser). The company was bought out by Spinrite, the maker of Sugar N Cream, and it looks like they are just slapping the Peaches and Cream label on Sugar N Cream--older balls and newer ones have a very different feel. It has yet to be seen whether or not Spinrite will continue to produce the beautiful Peaches and Cream colors or not, and whether or not they will use long-staple cotton (i.e., higher quality) for their version of Peaches and Cream. The consensus in the yarn world seems to be that Spinrite just wanted the label, as they shut down the factory. The sale was a big blow to the 80 workers in a small town here in NC.

·
Registered
222 Posts
peachy51 said:
Barbara D. said:
Pity they don't ship to Australia!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom