Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Has anyone used yarn made from Bamboo.

Wondered how well it knitted up. Also how it washes. Can it go in the washing machine and the dryer.

Just thought it would be something new to try.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Margaret UK

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I made a 100% bamboo tank top for one of my daughters some years ago and it stretched so much while wearing that she had to wear another underneath it in order to remain decent! I don't think she wore it much because why bother to wear 2 tops on a hot summer day??
I had much better results with a bamboo/cotton blend by Lion Brand and it is washable, I only put it in the dryer on low until damp/dry, then lay flat to finish drying.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
You can do a yarn search on Ravelry... not just a particular name (although if there is one particular brand/style you are considering, you can do that too) for a particular fiber or combination of fibers.
Look thru them and you'll get information on what folks think about it .....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've used Paton's "silk bamboo" which has become 1 of my favs. plus side): machine washes & dries beautifully. great colors, great shine, good stitch definition, holds shape well & unbelievably soft hand. negative): does pill a fair amount because of short fibers & light spin. Pure bamboo, like pure silk, does stretch during wear & wash. Tip: look for a tightly spun yarn to prevent pills & yarn splitting.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I used bamboo yarn which was quite soft and easy to work with although I crochet, no knitting to speak of yet. I made a bottom of the bed cover (must be a good name for these, but I don't know it! ) as a gift for an elderly relative with cold feet. She said she loves it, but she is so sweet that she would say that whether it was true or not! It washed and dried well before I sent it.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
I use Paton's bamboo/cotton/elastic blend plus the bamboo/silk/elastic blend & they are so nice & soft to knit with. I have only knit baby items with this yarn & it's washable. My only complaint is it's a bit splitting to knit with.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used know discontinued yarn Paton's Serenity which was 50% Bamboo. It was soft and wonderful to knit with (but unforgiving as it split badly and did not frog or tink well).
However, when worn, it grew considerably so was very baggy. Washed and dried brilliantly. Sadly, sits permanently on the shelf waiting for inspiration to rework.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bamboo does work up nicely and is very soft but all my garments really became unwearable because they stretched out to such a huge size. Since making these (lace, looser guage stitches, etc) I've learned from classes that the key is to use a fairly tight stitch with little give -- no lace especially! Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
To beginning weavers: don't use bamboo for both warp and weft!
I tried this and since there was no "spring," I couldn't get enough of a "shed" (the space in the warp. You can tell I've had no instruction so I don't even know the correct terms!!!!! For weft only, it would be lovely, I believe!

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I have used bamboo/acrylic blends for many pair of socks (sorry, I can't remember the brands) and they knitted up fast, very soft, and I just toss them in the washer and dryer (I always wash in cold water) with the rest of the laundry. Nothing has stretched at all.

·
Registered
22,990 Posts
I have used all-bamboo yarn. It really didn't work out for me. The project I was working on started stretching wildly even while it was on the needles. It was very slippery to work with, too. Even though I use bamboo or wooden needles, I had real difficulty knitting with it, without it sliding off the ends of my needles. And it split like crazy.

As a result, I haven't knitted with any bamboo-blend yarns. Bamboo's something I stay away from. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

Hazel

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just made two sweaters for my twin grand daughters from bamboo. I works up nicely, is very soft. I believe the washing instructions say to wash in warm water, either by hand or on delicate but the item must be dried flat. (( hope by daughter in law doesn't shoot me for that one.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom