Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!
I would like to request a very simple, basic adult mitten pattern. I only have one set of knitting needles and they are the straight kind, size 8. I don't do much knitting at all (mostly just fool around trying to learn and become more comfortable with knitting - I crochet ALL the time). I like the look of knitted mittens better then the look of crocheted ones, but all the patterns I find for mittens are fancy, and call for circular needles.

Anyone have a plain basic pattern to share?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
freesia792 said:
Thank you SO MUCH! I think these are cute. Bonus all the other sizes are included.
I so much appreciate this.
Thanks for the link...I have been looking for same kind of pattern, and haven't liked what I found...I do like this...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I have a two needle mitten book, PM me and let me know what size you want to make. Meanwhile I will find you a pattern using knitting worsted yarn since you only have size 8 needles.

Carol J.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
This pattern needs 2 -2oz skeins of knitting worsted or 1 4 oz, you use twos strands of knitting worsted yarn or 1 skein of chunky yarn and no. 8 needles.
Medium size mittens on two straight needles
Cast on 29 sts,work in ribbing of K 1 P 1 for 3 1/2 inches. P 1 row increasing to 32 sts. K 1 row P 1 row for 4 rows, then start thumb gusset as follows: Row 1-K 15, increase 1 st in each of the next 2 sts, K 15. Row 2-Purl. Row 3-K 15, increase 1 st in next, K 2, increase 1 st in next st, K 15.
Row 4-Purl. Row 5-K 15,increase 1 st in next st, K 4, increase in next st, K 15. Row 6-Purl. Continue increasing in the above manner until there are 8 sts between increased sts. P 1 row after last increased row, then work as follows: K 15: place on st-holder. K across next 10 sts, K 2 tog. (11 thumb sts); place remaining 15 sts on 2nd st-holder. (I like to use waste yarn instead of holders).
Work back and forth on the 11 thumb sts for 10 rows, end with a knit row. Decrease tip of thumb; Row 1-P 2 tog across row, ending P 1.
Row 2-K 2 tog 3 times. Draw all sts tog. and fasten off. Sew up thumb seam.
Place the 15 sts from first st-holder to Needle. Attach yarn and pick up 1 st at base of thumb. Place remaining 15 sts from 2nd holder to left hand Needle and K across row. Work back and forth on the 31 sts until piece measures 4 in. or desired length from base of thumb. Decrease tip of mitten: Row-1 K 1, K 2 tog.* K 2, k 2 tog: repeat from * across row. Row 2-Purl. Row 3-K 2 tog, *K 1, K 2 tog: repeat from * across row. Row 4-Purl. Row 5-K 1; K 2 tog across row. Row 6-Purl. Row 7-K 2 tog across row. Draw yarn through all sts and fasten off.
Sew side seam.

Carol J. Have any problems, just ask.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carol J. said:
I have a two needle mitten book, PM me and let me know what size you want to make. Meanwhile I will find you a pattern using knitting worsted yarn since you only have size 8 needles.

Carol J.
Thank you, you are so sweet to offer! I need a ladies size, and men sizes - both adult.
I couldn't believe how hard it was to find a basic two straight needle pattern for mittens. I searched several times, but nothing appeared to be for beginning knitters. lol ok, I've sort of known how to knit for many years, but never progressed beyond beginner status in the art.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be giving this a try very shortly. Thank you very much!
Carol J. said:
This pattern needs 2 -2oz skeins of knitting worsted or 1 4 oz, you use twos strands of knitting worsted yarn or 1 skein of chunky yarn and no. 8 needles.
Medium size mittens on two straight needles
Cast on 29 sts,work in ribbing of K 1 P 1 for 3 1/2 inches. P 1 row increasing to 32 sts. K 1 row P 1 row for 4 rows, then start thumb gusset as follows: Row 1-K 15, increase 1 st in each of the next 2 sts, K 15. Row 2-Purl. Row 3-K 15, increase 1 st in next, K 2, increase 1 st in next st, K 15.
Row 4-Purl. Row 5-K 15,increase 1 st in next st, K 4, increase in next st, K 15. Row 6-Purl. Continue increasing in the above manner until there are 8 sts between increased sts. P 1 row after last increased row, then work as follows: K 15: place on st-holder. K across next 10 sts, K 2 tog. (11 thumb sts); place remaining 15 sts on 2nd st-holder. (I like to use waste yarn instead of holders).
Work back and forth on the 11 thumb sts for 10 rows, end with a knit row. Decrease tip of thumb; Row 1-P 2 tog across row, ending P 1.
Row 2-K 2 tog 3 times. Draw all sts tog. and fasten off. Sew up thumb seam.
Place the 15 sts from first st-holder to Needle. Attach yarn and pick up 1 st at base of thumb. Place remaining 15 sts from 2nd holder to left hand Needle and K across row. Work back and forth on the 31 sts until piece measures 4 in. or desired length from base of thumb. Decrease tip of mitten: Row-1 K 1, K 2 tog.* K 2, k 2 tog: repeat from * across row. Row 2-Purl. Row 3-K 2 tog, *K 1, K 2 tog: repeat from * across row. Row 4-Purl. Row 5-K 1; K 2 tog across row. Row 6-Purl. Row 7-K 2 tog across row. Draw yarn through all sts and fasten off.
Sew side seam.

Carol J. Have any problems, just ask.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Make this size and see if it works for a woman or a man. To make it larger just make it longer in the hand and the thumb. Unless the man is quite large, you might need to add a few more stitches. This should be a very warm mitten with two strands of knitting worsted.
Seems to be a very simple mitten pattern.

Carol J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom