Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently discovered the joys... and unfortunately some pitfalls of using hand dyed yarn.

When dyed correctly, hand dyed yarns are actually art in itself. I have worked with a couple of hand dyed yarns that when knitted... ended up with color "pooling".... an undesired effect when knitting variegated yarn and too much of one color knits up to make sort of a "blob" or "pool" of color in your work.

I loved SweetPandora's yarn on the skein... when I wound it into a cake I could tell it was going to be wonderful to work with AND quality in terms of coloring.... I was right... the colors are vivid and even... no pooling occurred and the rich colors are amazing! The yarn I used is called Rose Petal Sock yarn. I cannot WAIT to try the other colors I bought!

I am thrilled that she is a member here and is offering her yarn for sale.

The yarn can be purchased here...

http://www.colortwistfiberarts.com/

I used a free pattern called "as seen in Trinity Bellwoods" which is a good "base" shawl pattern.... you can easily add lace, trim or embellishments as you choose. I added a yo, K2tog row before the bind off to give just a "hint" of design. I used a size 3US needle to knit this scarf.

The pattern is here....

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/as-seen-in-trinity-bellwoods

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Beautiful! Great choice of color. I have this pattern and the yarn. I still do not know what I am going to make with it ! Just waiting for the right patten to let me know!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm curious SweetPandora. What is it that the color artist does wrong to create the pooling that Amy describes (or is it a trade secret!)? If the answer is just too complicated, I understand. I'm wondering if a knitter could tell by looking at the hank if the pooling will occur (before finding out the hard way).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
aprilknits said:
I'm curious SweetPandora. What is it that the color artist does wrong to create the pooling that Amy describes (or is it a trade secret!)? If the answer is just too complicated, I understand. I'm wondering if a knitter could tell by looking at the hank if the pooling will occur (before finding out the hard way).
There are so many things that can cause pooling - the dye bath is too hot when the yarn goes in, the acid isn't mixed well with the water in the dye bath, the dye stock isn't thoroughly mixed, the dye is added directly to the dye bath, the yarn is left to pool at the bottom of the dye bath, the yarn isn't thoroughly and evenly wet before going into the dye bath....There are a ton of variables that come into play when dyeing yarn. but it's SO much fun for me!

Have a great day

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SweetPandora said:
There are so many things that can cause pooling - the dye bath is too hot when the yarn goes in, the acid isn't mixed well with the water in the dye bath, the dye stock isn't thoroughly mixed, the dye is added directly to the dye bath, the yarn is left to pool at the bottom of the dye bath, the yarn isn't thoroughly and evenly wet before going into the dye bath....There are a ton of variables that come into play when dyeing yarn. but it's SO much fun for me!

Have a great day
I had considered for about one second trying to dye some yarn.... I am no rocket scientist, but know enough about the process to know I will leave the dyeing up to the professionals!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Your scarf is absolutely beautiful. I so envy your talent. The pattern was easy to download. Would you consider doing a You Tube instructional video on how to make this? I am a basic knitter but would love to make this gorgeous scarf.

·
Registered
20,961 Posts
Oh Amy another well done project.
Love it.
I am saving my pennys to get some yarn also.
Please don't buy ALL the pinks before I can get some. LOL

Great explanation on pooling of colors. Thanks Pandora

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
LEE1313 said:
Oh Amy another well done project.
Love it.
I am saving my pennys to get some yarn also.
Please don't buy ALL the pinks before I can get some. LOL

Great explanation on pooling of colors. Thanks Pandora
You're welcome! And it's ok if Amy wants all the pinks I have right now - I can always dye more ;)

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mrsfje said:
Your scarf is absolutely beautiful. I so envy your talent. The pattern was easy to download. Would you consider doing a You Tube instructional video on how to make this? I am a basic knitter but would love to make this gorgeous scarf.
This is perfect for a beginner. The pattern uses only the knit stitch, Kfb and M1.

I assume you know how to do the knit stitch ;)

Here is a video showing how to do the Kfb...

Here is a video showing you how to do the M1...

You can do ALL increases using the kfb if that is easier, no M1 is necessary. To do this pattern using Kfb for all increases.... you need to replace the set up row 2 and pattern row 4 as follows.....

Set up row 2 will be Kfb, Kfb, K1, Kfb, Kfb (9 sts.) * place a marker before and after the center K1 so that you know where it is when knitting in either direction.

Row 4 will be Kfb, K to 1 stitch before marker, Kfb, sm, K1, sm, Kfb, knit to 2 stitches before end, Kfb, K1.

Everything else on the pattern will remain the same. Now you only have ONE new technique to learn... Kfb. If you are adventurous, you can learn M1 and knit the pattern as is.

* I used a safety pin placed on the right side of my work so you know which side will be row 4. I don't suggest using that string thing that she uses in the pattern.

Very good pattern for a beginner... go for it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
SweetPandora said:

Have a great day
Wow! I can see why Amy called it an art in itself. Your yarn is gorgeous. I especially like the Sunrise colorway. I plan on purchasing some before the month is out.

Thanks, Amy, for letting us know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom