Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening again,

I enjoy knitting hats and I have been knitting hats for over 30 years without checking gauge. I have been truly blessed because I have never had an issue until recently. I knitted the Bastion Beanie using the recommended yarn and needle. The completed hat will only fit my toddler grandson. I am highly disappointed because it is a beautiful pattern. I am going to make another hat but not before checking the recommended gauge which is 16 stitches and 22 rows = 4x4 square in Stockinette stitch, US a 8 needle. Well I did cast on the 16 stitches and used the stockinette stitch - but the finish swatch is for 4 inches long and only 3 inches wide. My question is- do I go down a few needle sizes or am I doing something completely wrong. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
You should make a swatch that's larger than 4x4 because sometimes the edge stitches can be looser or tighter than the middle stitches.

Since the hat came out too small, try larger needles.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
You need larger needles to get the width, that's the most important measurement. You can adjust the rows by doing less or more.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I usually use a 5mm needle with a 10 ply yarn and 6mm needles with bulky or 12 ply. And when knitting a tension square I cast on 25-30 stitches and knit for 4-6”. Then measure the width with stitches in the middle. So if you don’t have enough stitches try going up a needle size.

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
raynetta said:
Good Evening again,

I enjoy knitting hats and I have been knitting hats for over 30 years without checking gauge. I have been truly blessed because I have never had an issue until recently. I knitted the Bastion Beanie using the recommended yarn and needle. The completed hat will only fit my toddler grandson. I am highly disappointed because it is a beautiful pattern. I am going to make another hat but not before checking the recommended gauge which is 16 stitches and 22 rows = 4x4 square in Stockinette stitch, US a 8 needle. Well I did cast on the 16 stitches and used the stockinette stitch - but the finish swatch is for 4 inches long and only 3 inches wide. My question is- do I go down a few needle sizes or am I doing something completely wrong. Thank you for your help.
In order to get an accurate gauge...make the swatch at least 5" x 5" and check the center 4" section. Length is not usually as important, since most patterns say to knit to x number of inches rather than x number of rows. The critical number is stitches per inch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom