Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the right type of circular needles should I use to make 15" diameter child's hat. I want to work in the round for a seamless hat. Having a hard time connecting with 16" ones. Help!

·
Premium Member
5,080 Posts
I like to use 24-32 inch cords on my needles. 16 inches are OK, but a bit small for a beret type hat. They work OK for a preemie hat however, I use the longer ones with the magic loop and find that is easier to work.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Magic Loop with circular needles is about all I do circular stuff with, cause you usually don't have to change to double pointed for decrease and finished top. I have thought of giving my daughter in law my straight needles. Since I use circulars for everything. That way I don't loose one out of my work when traveling with a project. Have a blessed day from Texas.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
I only use circulars also.
And in this case would probably go for my version of magic loop too...

·
Registered
401 Posts
All my circs are 32 or 40 for magic loop. No straights or dpns any more. For shorter cables I'll use two cables. You tube has excellent videos for both methods. Let me know if you need help. Will chage your life, did mine tho I know some prefer dpns.

Mrsfje said:
What are the right type of circular needles should I use to make 15" diameter child's hat. I want to work in the round for a seamless hat. Having a hard time connecting with 16" ones. Help!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will check out YouTube for knitting with the magic loop. Never did this before but need to give it a try. I have a hard time stretching the yarn to connect on something that is only going to be 16 inches in diameter. Loosing my patience but really don't like hats with seams. Thank you all!

·
Registered
401 Posts
You can also use a small circular, 9-12 inch. Rather than the cable being larger than the hat and having to stretch the yarn, the stitches crowd the cable and you can knit smoothly.

Mrsfje said:
Will check out YouTube for knitting with the magic loop. Never did this before but need to give it a try. I have a hard time stretching the yarn to connect on something that is only going to be 16 inches in diameter. Loosing my patience but really don't like hats with seams. Thank you all!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's exactly what I was hoping to do. I found them on Ebay and ordered them today. I got No. 9 - 12 inch which I think will help me. Great price for circulars on Ebay. Don't have to bid just "buy now" with free shipping.

Thanks for your suggestion!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you are planning on using the magic loop, be sure that the cord on circulars purchased on ebay is flexible plastic. I purchased a set of circulars on ebay and the cord is stainless steel. They work great for straight work, but I do not think they are flexible enough for the magic loop. So I have been slowly adding Addi turbos to my stash (as I need them) for magic loop knitting.

Since 32" or 40" circulars are needed for the magic loop, I have been spending a little more to get the 40" so that I will be able to use them on a wider variety of projects in the future.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mrsfje said:
The general rule is to use a circular that is smaller than the diameter of the item you are making in the round. As the earlier post noted, this would probably be a 12" circular.

While many swear by "magic" techniques, I swear at them. In my experience, using long cords on tiny items requires-- using the word that has become a favorite on this forum--too much "fiddling."

But we each knit in ways that work for us as individuals, and that's the way it should be.

Good luck with your smaller circs, and most important of all, have fun!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Mrsfje- For me, depending on the needle size and yarn a 16" circ needle needs at least (apx) 50 stitches to stretch enough to be comfortable (less for bigger needles and yarn, more for smaller needles and yarn). When I knit a baby or small child's hat I usually use my 12" circs. Not everyone is comfortable with the shorts but I love knitting with mine (Addi turbo 12" circ needles). If the 12" circs aren't for you, try the Magic Loop.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
I knit a couple rows back and forth on my circulars before joining. This gives me something to hold on to and also increases the diameter of the knitting just enough to let you do the join. Then use the tail of the yarn ot sew up that little seam.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I like to use circs with long cables on everything. The longer the cables, the easier it is for me to do the job :). I followed the advice of my KPer friends here, when I got my Harmony set and haven't had any problems. Love, love my Harmonies!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am heavily into magic loop, and only have old circs with long cables. But I am trying to knit the karate uniform from here (it is on a bear, but I am making a doll), and I tried magic loop as it only starts out with 50 stitches, increasing to 174. But I am finding it is too fiddly, with markers and M1 each side of the marker...so have given it a miss for the minute!! Any suggestions welcome, thankyou :) And Happy New Year to all the KPers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom