Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

A friend of mine and his partner are expecting their first baby in January. They are very outdoorsy and love rock climbing, hiking, camping, etc.

I fell in love with this cowl and thought: Maybe I could make it and just sew up the bottom when I'm done to convert it to a snuggle sack for the baby? I would have to line the inside because of the stranded colourwork.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-hiking-reindeer-cowl

Would that work as a sleep sack? I only have 1 ball of the sunset yarn, and it has been discontinued, so I couldn't make anything much bigger. I thought about knitting it flat but wondered if that would make the colourwork more difficult...I've only done stranded colourwork once before and that was in the round.

Thanks for reading and please share any feedback. I value your opinions!
Have a lovely day :)

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
It has been a few years but when I judged county fair needlework, I judged a few sleep sacks and they were not nearly as wide as a cowl would be. Maybe you could cut down the design part to just the critter and a few trees???

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
It's a beautiful pattern for a cowl....but as a baby sack I would have to say no....the reason the yarn is thin... only fingering & due to a baby's weight it might not hold up even lined....I'm kinda going by my 3 mo old grandson who is now quite a chunk & his parents also take him on hikes etc, but in a cloth type sack as his neck is still wobbly & needs to be big enough to support his back/neck area.....

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Snuggle sacks Are 16-18 inches in circumference. The cowl is much larger. If you can reduce the circumference to sleep sack size do it. I live the idea.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PatK27 said:
Snuggle sacks Are 16-18 inches in circumference. The cowl is much larger. If you can reduce the circumference to sleep sack size do it. I live the idea.
I'm going to look into this-thanks! The pattern says to cast on 200 stitches, so maybe I can do some math to make it smaller....

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
It’s a beautiful pattern and a lovely idea. Personally I’m not keen on snuggle sacks I prefer the ones with sleeves or armholes. I didn’t check the yarn weight, but is there a way of knitting flat and making a blanket? I think it could be stunning and useful for so much longer

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
klrober said:
It's a beautiful pattern for a cowl....but as a baby sack I would have to say no....the reason the yarn is thin... only fingering & due to a baby's weight it might not hold up even lined....I'm kinda going by my 3 mo old grandson who is now quite a chunk & his parents also take him on hikes etc, but in a cloth type sack as his neck is still wobbly & needs to be big enough to support his back/neck area.....
Haha "quite a chunk"-sounds like my babies! Yes I agree this sack would only be for napping and not for transport. Thanks for this!

·
Registered
157,688 Posts
Kansas g-ma said:
It has been a few years but when I judged county fair needlework, I judged a few sleep sacks and they were not nearly as wide as a cowl would be. Maybe you could cut down the design part to just the critter and a few trees???
:sm24: :sm24:

·
Registered
14,560 Posts
Love your idea. You have to adjust the width and perhaps the length. Perhaps measure an infant's sweater for the placement of arm holes. Too many times the baby tends to slip down inside of the sacks....the addition of sleeves would add warmth and keep the baby safer in the sack.

Noted from experience.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
bevvyreay said:
It's a beautiful pattern and a lovely idea. Personally I'm not keen on snuggle sacks I prefer the ones with sleeves or armholes. I didn't check the yarn weight, but is there a way of knitting flat and making a blanket? I think it could be stunning and useful for so much longer
That was my first thought ! A lined blanket would definitely be a wonderful keepsake.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bevvyreay said:
It's a beautiful pattern and a lovely idea. Personally I'm not keen on snuggle sacks I prefer the ones with sleeves or armholes. I didn't check the yarn weight, but is there a way of knitting flat and making a blanket? I think it could be stunning and useful for so much longer
This is true....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom