Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of lovely knitting with beads knitted in.

My question is, do you put the beads on the yarn before you cast on.

Or do you cut the yarn at the beginning of the row that is going to be beaded and then add the beads.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
DON'T CUT THE YARN! you can either string the beads before casting on or there are several different ways to add beads per stitich. depending on the size of the bead.... crochet hook, beading needle, dental floss loop etc. there should be quite a few you tube videos that apply as everyone believes they are the first ones to ever think of something so brilliant as what they just did...good luck.

personally i usually thread beforehand. it a relatively mindless task that i can do whilst watching tv or reading.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,142 Posts
You have two choices.
You can thread all the beads onto your yarn before you begin; this is tiresome and fiddly, especially if you run into a knot.

You can thread each bead onto the yarn as you do the stitch that requires a bead - using a very fine crochet hook, a length of dental floss, or such to get the yarn through the hole in the bead.

Do NOT cut the yarn!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
sorry, i hit the wrong button before finishing my post. i hate weaving in and with beads in the mix my concern is the weight of the bead possibly pulling things loose. i also never knot. just the way i was trained by my perfectionist grandmother i guess.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
You have two choices.
You can thread all the beads onto your yarn before you begin; this is tiresome and fiddly, especially if you run into a knot.

You can thread each bead onto the yarn as you do the stitch that requires a bead - using a very fine crochet hook, a length of dental floss, or such to get the yarn through the hole in the bead.

Do NOT cut the yarn!
Thank you Jessican-Jean.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
go to u-tube and search for bead knitting there should be more than one video. also google for it I have found some great written instructions there on 'how to'.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
How you handle the beads depends on the pattern. Check it out. In making a beaded cowl as a newbie I was uncertain and contacted the designer. She said to knit them individually in this particular pattern or they would not seat correctly.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Actual jessica-jean has it 2 thirds right, there is a third way, if yoy can get a sewing tread in the same colour as your yarn you can thread the beads on to that then you knit the yarn and thread together bringing the bead up ti the stitches you want them on.

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
I don't like to prestring the beads because it can damage, fray, even cut the yarn! The constant sliding of the unused beads while you knit the "plain" portions of your piece causes unnecessary friction along the yarn. Some beads are not as smooth inside as others, and the sharp edges will abrade the yarn as the bead slides along it.

One of the reasons I never did any beaded knitting until I learned the method with the crochet hook, placing beads on each individual stitch as needed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I actually have beads, yarn, and a YOU Tube video on how to ..... ready to go on a Miami Shawl pattern that I have made several times without beads. I am anxious to try it with the added beads BUT that said I am uncertain where to put the beads, how often to add them in and how many to add to give it a festive, sparkly look. Any suggestions, bead Knitters? BTW, there is a "class" from Crafty that teaches how to knit little round beads with beads on them. Looks lovely, but hard!
marylin said:
I pick up each bead with a crochet hook and place it in the stitch where I want the bead. Google it to get a lesson.

It goes very fast after the first few beads. I now put beads in every shawl I knit.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I knit with beads frequently. Generally, the pattern gives instructions on whether to string first or add the beads as you go. The advantage of the latter (using the crochet hook method already described) is that you don't have to count the beads ahead of time. I've counted wrong and run out of beads before I ran out of pattern.

·
Registered
560 Posts
RoxyCatlady said:
I don't like to prestring the beads because it can damage, fray, even cut the yarn! The constant sliding of the unused beads while you knit the "plain" portions of your piece causes unnecessary friction along the yarn. Some beads are not as smooth inside as others, and the sharp edges will abrade the yarn as the bead slides along it.

One of the reasons I never did any beaded knitting until I learned the method with the crochet hook, placing beads on each individual stitch as needed.
Very good response, I totally agree!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Absolutely the only way to do it. I took a beaded knitting class and found that doing a small project-in the case of the class-beaded wrist warmers-one could string all those beads on the yarn and pass them along until needed, but it was obvious that they were fraying the yarn. Now I have done a couple of hats using the crochet hook method and find it works beautifully. I do knit a swatch that includes the beads too get a feel for the weight and wear and tear on the yarn before I proceed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
knitterlin said:
I knit with beads frequently. Generally, the pattern gives instructions on whether to string first or add the beads as you go. The advantage of the latter (using the crochet hook method already described) is that you don't have to count the beads ahead of time. I've counted wrong and run out of beads before I ran out of pattern.
Method depends on the pattern. Prestringing puts beads BETWEEN stitches, crochet placing puts them ON the stitch. It makes a difference in you finished product.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom