Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I'm, at the present, knitting a bride's wrist purse. The yarn is worsted weight and the pearl-beads are 6mm. They look nice on this yarn. But, I am not bunching them together to make a design. My beads are dispersed per the pattern's instructions (1" apart).

Hopefully, someone has actual information on the use of beads to form a beaded design on your shawl.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I would think for worsted you'd need a larger bead than 6/0. I have tried stringing them on DK yarn and it was do-able but really hard to move the beads down the yarn as I worked. I think worsted would be way too thick.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm working on a project with fingering weight yarn and size 6/0 beads. I'm thinking you might need larger beads for worsted weight.

Suggestion: Take your beading crochet hook and a short length of your yarn with you when you go to JoAnn's. Try the bead. Then you'll be sure of the size.

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
Debiknit said:
I would think for worsted you'd need a larger bead than 6/0. I have tried stringing them on DK yarn and it was do-able but really hard to move the beads down the yarn as I worked. I think worsted would be way too thick.
I agree; 6/0 seed beads will not work with worsted weight yarn. The bead holes are too small for the yarn diameter. You would need beads with a large hole.

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
I've found pony beads work best for worsted yarn - and I wouldn't recommend pre-stringing beads of any size or type on yarn - use the "crochet hook method" of adding beads to knitting (simple method, there are tutorials online as well as videos)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I use the crochet method now also. My first beaded project called for stringing the beads. First and last time doing that. I was also
thinking along the lines of the pony beads for worsted yarn.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I bought the size 6 beads and the hole does look very small for the yarn I'm using, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. This is a test project so if the size 6 doesn’t work, it's back to Michaels Crafts for a larger size. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just did a test swatch and I can't believe that the size 6 bead fit on this worsted weight yarn. This yarn is fairly chunkie and fluffy. I used a piece of dental floss to feed the bead onto the crochet stitch. I have to say that I'm surprised that it fit. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RoxyCatlady said:
Of course, we all defaulted to answering about knitting with beads!! Despite my personal aversion to pre-stringing beads, I believe you do need to for crochet.
I'm sorry that I neglected to mention that I'm crocheting. Everything that I know about using beads, I read on KP. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll give prestringing the beads a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom