Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While helping my 79 year old mother clean out a closet yesterday, we came across a beautiful hand-knit cotton sweater. My mother said a friend of hers had a friend that knitted sweaters to sell perhaps 30 or more years ago and she had bought this white one. She had been told by her friend that the woman that knit it was blind. I wish I could get all the details to pass along, but that was a long time ago. There is a tag sewn in "Hand Made by Cathy Sperry". I don't know the extent of the lady's visual impairment, but this is a beautifully made garment. It's of a worsted weight cotton, quite heavy, but comfortable. My mother knew I appreciated the work involved and she gave the sweater to me. I just had to share it with people who would appreciate the skill. I had heard of people who could knit by feel only, but had never witnessed such an example

Attachments

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Many, many years ago when I was around 12 years old (had been knitting and crocheting for over 4 years), my Mum had a friend who was blind and in a wheelchair, she often came to stay with us. I really felt sorry for her as she had nothing to do. Decided there and then I would plan for my future, just in case I ever ended up blind or wheelchair bound. For two years I practiced knitting without looking at my work. Finally mastered it. But could not crochet that way. Comes in very handy now as I can knit and watch a TV show at the same time, have to look at the tricky bits though. God forbid if I was totally blind would probably only be able to knit knee rugs or scarves. Anyway still have my sight with the help of reading glasses.
Don't think I could produce a beautiful white cardi like this one if visually impared.
Cheers Helen

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Carabella, I hope to find out more details about her. It's so nice to hear from you in Ireland. I have either Scotch or Irish ancestors. My grandmother's name was McCormack. I am fair skinned with red hair and have always been drawn to anything Irish. I hope to visit your beautiful country someday.
CARABELLA said:
Beautiful cardigan, it would be just great to be able to trace back to the lady who knit it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Helen, what foresight for a 12 year old. I couldn't knit a cardigan like that with the good eyesight I have. I'm very curious about how she did it and if she had to have help with the assembly, at least. Anyway, it's really a great find.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What a wonderful story and beautiful sweater. We don't realize how lucky we are to have our sight until we see something like this. Made me stop and think, we can do anything we set out minds to. If this lady was blind from birth she didn't realize there was anything different with her. I hope you are able to find out more about this talented lady and possibly even meet her, if she is still with us.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
This is a special gift. I am impressed with the workmanship displayed in this beautiful piece, and to think that she was blind is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing the story as well.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Wow wouldn't it be awsome to trace it back and find a granddaughter that would loveeeeeee to have it! I think finding things like this especially with a name attached and such a wonderfull story too are really great!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What a great idea. I didn't think of that. Wouldn't that be great. I'm committed to finding the creator. Thank you
cbjlinda said:
Wow wouldn't it be awsome to trace it back and find a granddaughter that would loveeeeeee to have it! I think finding things like this especially with a name attached and such a wonderfull story too are really great!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom