Having followed a couple of KP threads recently on the joys of acrylic yarns and blocking, I thought I'd employ both in these bedsocks. Combined with turn and wrap I can truthfully say that they are one of the least successful items I have ever knitted. Although I used a Phildar yarn with a reasonable percentage of wool, acrylics just don't have the bounce of wool and the socks are quite limp after one wearing. I blocked them properly with pins both before and after sewing them up but in my opinion this made them no better than the brief ironing I invariably give to knitted woollen garments. Still, as my ironing board is set up in a window with views over distant fields and woods I was at least able to see a buzzard and a deer as I did the blocking - an advantage. As for wrap and turn (instructions religiously followed from a Revelry two needle sock pattern) - what a disappointment; nasty amateurish effect. So my New Year resolutions will be a)stick to wool and natural fibres b) just iron and forget the pins and c) follow alternative ideas for short rows.
54 KB Views: 0