Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I wonder if someone could please tell me the equivelant yarn thickness. Some patterns use a 3.5mm (usually used for uk 4ply) and others 4.00mm (uk dk)
I have a lovely vintage crochet pattern using the above yarn, and i'm not sure what thickness of yarn I should use.
Many thanks for your help xxx

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
With the Uk 3 or 4 weight thread? I imagine that having the smaller on the worsted and the larger needle on the DK...they are trying to stay with the same gauge without increasing the number of stitches across.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
This was an american pattern. In the uk, we have 4ply or doubleknit (dk) so need to know which to buy. I just wondered if anyone knew the yarn and could advise. Your ideas are valued.

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
If it is 4-ply...I get my socks comfortably worked in a 2.75mm (imperial 11?) I have both US and Imperial sized Circulars. I prefer the Imperials in the less than 3mm stainless needles as I appear to not know my own strength with the smaller wood or bamboo.

Had to update my own response. Larger # in imperial means smaller needle. Opposite for US sizes. <slap on OWN head!>

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, perhaps I didn't make my message clear.
What I'm looking for is the equivelant thickness of yarn to Bernat carioca which has been discontinued. If anyone knows I'd be very grateful.
Thank you kaixiang for trying to help.

·
Registered
508 Posts
maidinkent said:
Hi all,
I wonder if someone could please tell me the equivelant yarn thickness. Some patterns use a 3.5mm (usually used for uk 4ply) and others 4.00mm (uk dk)
I have a lovely vintage crochet pattern using the above yarn, and i'm not sure what thickness of yarn I should use.
Many thanks for your help xxx
If you look up the yarn on Ravelry, it tells you it's sport weight (which I think is equiv. of Brit Dk.?) also a couple of stashes are for sale at pretty good prices. scroll down on the page to find. d

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom