Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you out there are going to do the 2012 Bernat Mystery Afghan Knit A Long? Here is a link for anyone not familiar with it

http://www.bernat.com/2012mysteryafghan/

I've never done anything like this before and think it will be fun. I did have a hard time deciding on my yarns, tho'. I don't have enough of anything appropriate in my stash, so I decided to order the Bernat. Locally, I only have a Hobby Lobby to buy from and they don't carry it.

The yarn arrived today and I must confess to being disappointed in the colors. If you look at the site, they have different colorways to chose from and for the most part I chose the "Simplicity" colors. When I first opened the box, the colors looked quite different than they looked online and I was most disappointed in 2 of them.....the Colonial Beige and the Butter. I was very happy, however with my selection of Pink Suede from the "Beautiful Things" colorway. I wanted to add a "peachy" color ad this looked more peach than pink in the pictures, and it actually is! Of course, once started writing this, I put a skein of each out and took a picture. Seeing them all together, I do like them all alot more than I originally thought. If I had been able to go to a store and see them in person, before buying them, I probably would have selected different colors, but these will be good, I think.

In my photo the colors from left to right, on the bottom, are Bark, Colonial Beige and Butter. On the top is the Pink Suede and Greek Sea. The Greek Sea is the main color.

It seems really strange to pick out yarns for an afghan that I have no idea what the pattern will be! I think its going to be fun, tho. Those of you that are going to do it....what colors have you decided to go with?

Attachments

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Sounds like fun, if I was able to knit I would join in.

The colors look nice, sorry to hear you aren't happy with all of them. Keep us posted on the KAL. Would love to see pictures of your afghan when your done.

Have fun knitting.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mombr4 said:

The colors look nice, sorry to hear you aren't happy with all of them. Keep us posted on the KAL. Would love to see pictures of your afghan when your done.

Have fun knitting.
mombr4, I know you're having trouble knitting but there is a crochet version also, if you are able to do that! :)

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
mombr4 said:

Have fun knitting.
They are also having a crochet along mystery afghan at the same time, did you know?

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
YankeeChick said:
mombr4 said:

Have fun knitting.
mombr4, I know you're having trouble knitting but there is a crochet version also, if you are able to do that! :)
Thanks for letting me know but I don't crochet. I sure do miss being able to knit, I do try once in a while but it just adds to the extreme pain I am in without knitting. Maybe some day I will be able to knit again like I use to.

I'm sure you will enjoy the KAL.

·
Registered
55,978 Posts
I really like your color choices. I think they will all work well together. I have seen a couple other posts on this topic and there are others joining in. If I didn't have so many projects going I would love to join in. I look forward to seeing your progress. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm planning to do the KAL. I bought Beautiful Blue, Sundrift, Porcelain Red, Bitter Rose and Vana's choice Silver Blue because I didn't like the Bernat light blue choice at Michaels. It looked like a washed out aqua to me. And, I was looking for more of a peachy or terracotta but the rose and red are a very pretty substitutes for my original idea. Now, I'm just hoping the pattern is not a bunch of squares that need to be sewed together.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dimples16 said:
I didn't know anything about it. Other than the yarn does it cost anything to join. If it does I can not join.
Doesn't cost a thing! Click on my link above and it gives you the scoop. All you have to do is sign up for the emails for the weekly clue and pattern!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yo k2tog in CA said:
I'm planning to do the KAL. I bought Beautiful Blue, Sundrift, Porcelain Red, Bitter Rose and Vana's choice Silver Blue because I didn't like the Bernat light blue choice at Michaels. It looked like a washed out aqua to me. And, I was looking for more of a peachy or terracotta but the rose and red are a very pretty substitutes for my original idea. Now, I'm just hoping the pattern is not a bunch of squares that need to be sewed together.
Your colors sound great! I hope it's not a bunch of squares that have to be sewn together, too :thumbdown:

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
YankeeChick said:
Dimples16 said:
I didn't know anything about it. Other than the yarn does it cost anything to join. If it does I can not join.
Doesn't cost a thing! Click on my link above and it gives you the scoop. All you have to do is sign up for the emails for the weekly clue and pattern!
Thanks' Sounds like fun. I have tons of yarn.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did the CAL about a year ago and was pleased with the colors, but thought the pattern was a little to "busy." I did make some patterns I had never done before but, as much fun as I had looking forward to the new pattern each week, I was disappointed with the final product and decided to skip it this time. It is quite a bit of money to invest when you have no idea what you will have in the end. I do really like the colors you have chosen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I did the first knit along, but got really messed up on one particular pattern, I never did finish it lol. I plan on doing this one though, and just a little useless info, I live about 15 minutes away from the Bernat Factory. They have a 50% off sale twice a year, or you fill a bag for $10, it's great.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm doing the crochet one, but will probably copy the knitting clues as well, in case I like it when it I see the finished product and like it.

I, too, am agonising over colours and no time to get yarn from OS before it starts. Am going off to buy my yarn tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yankee Chick, I actually like the colors very much. I think they go well together. I looked into the KAL, but don't really want to buy any more yarn. I wonder if I have yarn in my stash that would work......Maybe I'll check it out. Good Luck to you though! Have fun!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
The colours you chose go very well together. The only afghan I made is still waiting to be sew together (10 years). So while this sounds like fun I doubt I will be signing up. I have some time to decide and I can get Waverly at my local Michael's and at Walmart. Thinking but this early in the morning it makes my head hurt.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom