Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BEST 5 INGREDIENT MEMORIAL DAY RECIPES

Need ideas for a last-minute cookout? These Memorial Day recipes are here to the rescue. They're all five ingredients or less, meaning grilling season kicks off with ease.

BACON PEA SALAD Bacon Pea Salad My husband absolutely loves peas. My middle son isn't the biggest fan, but he loves bacon. So, I combined the two, and it was perfect! This pea salad is an awesome side dish, especially for barbecue. —Angela Lively, Conroe, Texas
BACON-STUFFED MUSHROOMS Bacon-Stuffed Mushrooms I first tried these bubbly treats at my sister-in-law's house. The tender mushroom caps and creamy filling were so fabulous that I had to get the recipe. It's hard to believe how simple, fast and easy they are. —Angela Coffman, Kansas City, Missouri
BACON-TOMATO SALAD Bacon-Tomato Salad We love this wonderful bacon salad that tastes like a piled-high BLT without the time or effort. You can make it hours ahead and keep it in the fridge till serving time. —Denise Thurman, Columbia, Missouri
BASIL GRILLED CORN ON THE COB Basil Grilled Corn on the Cob Corn on the cob is a comforting and cherished Midwest dish. It's amazing when grilled, and my recipe adds a few unexpected ingredients to make it taste even more like summertime. —Caitlin Dawson, Monroe, Ohio
BBQ Chicken Bites BBQ Chicken Bites Chicken bites wrapped in bacon get a kick from Montreal seasoning and sweetness from barbecue sauce. We love the mix of textures. —Kathryn Dampier, Quail Valley, California
BEER DIP Beer Dip Ranch dressing mix flavors this easy dip packed with shredded cheese. It's perfect paired with pretzels. Be forewarned, though—it's hard to stop eating once you've started! The beer cheese dip can be made with any type of beer, including non-alcoholic. I've taken it to many parties and I am always asked for the recipe. —Michelle Long, New Castle, Colorado
BERRY BBQ SAUCE Berry BBQ Sauce On weekends, I jazz up our favorite BBQ sauce with berries. This blackberry-blueberry BBQ sauce makes a marvelous spread for basting and saucing grilled baby back ribs. —Janet Hix, Austin, Texas
BURGER AMERICANA Burger Americana Go on a burger road trip in your own backyard. Grill the patties and load them sky-high with your favorite toppings. For instance, peanut butter and bacon make them southern style; coleslaw and tomatoes, a northern version. —Susan Mahaney, New Hartford, New York
BUTTERSCOTCH TOFFEE COOKIES Butterscotch Toffee Cookies With its big butterscotch and chocolate flavor, my cookie stands out. I like to enjoy it with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. It’s my fallback recipe when I’m short on time and need something delicious fast. —Allie Blinder, Norcross, Georgia
BUTTERY GRILLED SHRIMP Buttery Grilled Shrimp This is easy and delicious! These shrimp are great with steak, but for a special occasion, brush the sauce on lobster tails and grill. —Sheryl Shenberger, Albuquerque, New Mexico
CB'S CREAMY COLESLAW CB’s Creamy Coleslaw This classic slaw is great with spare ribs or pork roast and always hits the spot after a day of fishing on the Au Sable River in Michigan. —Christian Betz, Hastings, Michigan
CHILI SAUCE CHICKEN Chili Sauce Chicken Chili sauce, garlic and basil add flavor to these moist chicken thighs. We enjoy the tender grilled chicken not just in summertime, but throughout the year. —Marilyn Waltz, Idyllwild, California
Food Tableware Recipe Plate Ingredient

CHOCOLATY S'MORES BARS Chocolaty S’mores Bars One night my husband had some friends over to play poker and he requested these s'mores bars. They polished off the pan and asked for more! I shared the recipe, and now their families make them, too. —Rebecca Shipp, Beebe, Arkansas
COCONUT MILK STRAWBERRY-BANANA POPS Coconut Milk Strawberry-Banana Pops These four-ingredient freezer pops are a delicious way to use up a pint of fresh strawberries. You'll love the hint of tropical flavor, thanks to the coconut milk. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
COLESLAW WITH POPPY SEED DRESSING Coleslaw with Poppy Seed Dressing This is the kind of salad you can keep in the fridge for a couple days and it just gets better. I just add the sunflower seeds before serving to keep the crunch. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
CONTEST-WINNING BARBECUED PORK CHOPS Contest-Winning Barbecued Pork Chops Sherry, honey, barbecue and steak sauces combine to give these chops a beautiful glaze and dressed-up flavor. The sauce works well on chicken breasts, too. —LaJuana Holland, Amarillo, Texas
COOKOUT CARAMEL S'MORES Cookout Caramel S’mores These classic treats make a fabulous finish to an informal meal. Toasting the marshmallows extends our after-dinner time together, giving us something fun to do as a family. —Martha Haseman, Hinckley, Illinois
EASY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Everyone will simply devour this savory and delicious dip with shredded chicken throughout. The spicy kick makes it a perfect football-watching food, and the recipe always brings raves. —Janice Foltz, Hershey, Pennsylvania
EASY KEY LIME PIE Easy Key Lime Pie This refreshingly easy Key lime pie is a winner on all counts. It's quick and easy enough to make for a weeknight dessert, but special enough to take to weekend potlucks. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Fruit

EASY PUPPY CHOW Easy Puppy Chow This easy puppy chow recipe uses a whole package of cereal, so there's less messy measuring. And it makes enough to feed a hungry crowd. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
EASY STRAWBERRY LEMONADE FREEZER PIE Easy Strawberry Lemonade Freezer Pie Three simple ingredients mixed together and spread into a graham crust make magic while your freezer does the all the work. Prep this pie ahead and freeze it overnight or even longer. Feel free to vary the fruit if you'd like! —Debbie Glasscock, Conway, Arkansas
FETA-STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS Feta-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms My husband adores mushrooms, and portobello mushrooms have loads of room for stuffing with feta cheese and pesto. Plan on one mushroom per person. —Amy Martell, Canton, Pennsylvania
FRESH CUCUMBER SALAD Fresh Cucumber Salad Crisp, garden-fresh cukes are always in season when we hold our family reunion, and they really shine in this simple salad. The recipe can easily be expanded to make large quantities, too. —Betsy Carlson, Rockford, Illinois
GARLIC GRILLED STEAKS Garlic Grilled Steaks Take steak to new flavor heights by basting your choice of cuts with an amazing garlicky blend that requires only a few minutes to fix. It will be a mouthwatering change of taste at your next outdoor gathering. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
GINGER-GLAZED GRILLED SALMON Ginger-Glazed Grilled Salmon Our family loves salmon prepared this way, and it's a real treat to make on a warm summer evening. These fillets may be baked in the oven at 450 degrees for 18 minutes, basting occasionally. —Wanda Toews, Cromer, Manitoba
Food Ingredient Recipe Fast food Staple food

GRILLED ANGEL FOOD CAKE WITH STRAWBERRIES Grilled Angel Food Cake with Strawberries One night I goofed, accidentally using the balsamic butter I save for grilling chicken on my pound cake. What a delicious mistake that my entire family loved! For a patriotic look, add a drizzle of blueberry syrup. —Tammy Hathaway, Freeman Twp, Maine
GRILLED BASIL CHICKEN AND TOMATOES Grilled Basil Chicken and Tomatoes Relax after work with a cold drink while this savory chicken marinates in an herby tomato blend for an hour, then toss it on the grill. It's one of those BASIL RECIPES 50 Tasty Ways to Use Up Fresh Basil that tastes just like summer. —Laura Lunardi, West Chester, Pennsylvania
GRILLED BROCCOLI Grilled Broccoli I started using this grilled broccoli recipe in 1987 when I began cooking light. It’s been a favorite side dish ever since. With its lemon and Parmesan flavors, it once took second place in a cooking contest. —Alice Nulle, Woodstock, Illinois
GRILLED BROWN SUGAR-MUSTARD CHICKEN Grilled Brown Sugar-Mustard Chicken I came up with this recipe in college and it's been a household staple ever since. It's a snap to throw together with ingredients I have on hand. —Kendra Doss, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Food Recipe Ingredient Cuisine Bowl

GRILLED BRUSSELS SPROUTS Grilled Brussels Sprouts During a beach vacation, in an effort to cook our entire meal outside on the grill, I made our not-so-simple veggie choice into a simple grilled side dish. For spicier sprouts, season with red pepper flakes —Tiffany Ihle, Bronx, New York
GRILLED CAULIFLOWER WEDGES Grilled Cauliflower Wedges This side is incredibly easy, yet is packed with flavor and looks like a dish from a five-star restaurant. The grill leaves the cauliflower cooked but crisp, and the red pepper flakes add bite. —Carmel Hall, San Francisco, California
GRILLED CORN IN HUSKS Grilled Corn in Husks If you're new to grilled corn in the husk, season the ears with butter, Parmesan cheese and parsley. It's especially good! Be sure to give the corn a long soak before putting it on the grill. Hot off the grate, the kernels are moist and tender with a wonderful, sweet flavor. —Nancy Zimmerman, Cape May Court House, New Jersey
GRILLED GREEN BEANS Grilled Green Beans I cook almost everything outdoors, including green beans. I prepare this snappy side dish while the entree is cooking. The recipe has won over my picky eaters. —Carol Traupman-Carr, Breinigsville, Pennsylvania
GRILLED HONEY-BALSAMIC GLAZED FRUIT Grilled Honey-Balsamic Glazed Fruit One summer my mother-in-law made us grilled peaches basted with a sweet and tangy sauce. These are so good I'm always tempted to eat the whole batch. —Kristin Van Dyken, West Richland, Washington
GRILLED JALAPENOS Grilled Jalapenos When barbecuing for friends at home, I also use the grill to serve up hot appetizers. These crowd-pleasing stuffed peppers have a bit of bite. They were concocted by my son. —Catherine Hollie, Cleveland, Texas
GRILLED MAPLE PORK CHOPS Grilled Maple Pork Chops Pork chops on the grill are hard to beat. The marinade is simple, and so good. —Nicholas King, Duluth, Minnesota
GRILLED MUSHROOM KABOBS Grilled Mushroom Kabobs Earthy grilled mushrooms taste like flame-kissed goodness. The balsamic vinegar adds just enough tanginess to the savory side. —Melissa Hoddinott, Sherwood Park, Alberta
GRILLED NECTARINE AND CHEESE CROSTINI Grilled Nectarine & Cheese Crostini At our house, we love the summer tastes of sweet grilled nectarines and fresh basil over goat cheese. I can usually find all the ingredients at the farmer’s market. —Brandy Hollingshead, Grass Valley, California
GRILLED POTATO PACKETS Grilled Potato Packets Potatoes require a little extra time on the grill, so remember to give these pouches first dibs on the flames. —Anna Bjornn, Rexburg, Idaho
GRILLED RIB EYES WITH BROWNED GARLIC BUTTER Grilled Ribeyes with Browned Garlic Butter Use the smoke of the grill to flavor the rib eyes, then pass them with garlicky butter for a standout entree your friends and family always remember. —Arge Salvatori, Little Ferry, New Jersey
GRILLED STONE FRUITS WITH BALSAMIC SYRUP Grilled Stone Fruits with Balsamic Syrup Get ready to experience another side of stone fruits. Hot off the rack, these grilled nectarines practically melt in your mouth. —Sonya Labbe, West Hollywood, California
GRILLED TENDER FLANK STEAK Grilled Tender Flank Steak How to cook flank steak? Easy! Marinate it and grill or broil it! This marinated steak is so moist that it will become one of your favorite ways to serve beef. —Heather Ahrens, Columbus, Ohio
Food Building Wood Ingredient Animal product

HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE Homemade Guacamole Nothing is better than freshly made guacamole when you're eating something spicy. It is easy to whip together in a matter of minutes and quickly tames anything that's too hot. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
ICE CREAM COOKIE DESSERT Ice Cream Cookie Dessert Our family loves dessert, and this chocolaty, layered treat is one of Mom's most-requested recipes. It's so easy to prepare this Oreo ice cream cake! —Kimberly Laabs, Hartford, Wisconsin
ICED RASPBERRY TEA Iced Raspberry Tea Frozen raspberries lend fruity flavor and lovely color to this pretty iced tea that's good throughout the year. The recipe calls for just a few common ingredients and offers make-ahead convenience. —Lois McGrady, Hillsville, Virginia
JALAPENO-LIME CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS Jalapeno-Lime Chicken Drumsticks Bottled hot sauce isn't my thing, so I developed a fresh pepper glaze for grilled chicken. These drumsticks practically fly off the plate. —Kristeen DeVorss, Farmington, New Mexico
Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Meat

JICAMA CITRUS SALAD Jicama Citrus Salad Never tried jicama? It is a crunchy Mexican turnip, and I love to use it in this super easy salad. The jicama is ideal alongside the vibrant flavors of the tangerines and shallots. Between the sweet and sour flavors in this salad and its crunchy texture, it's all delish if you ask me. —Crystal Jo Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
JUDY'S MACARONI SALAD Judy’s Macaroni Salad After finding this vintage macaroni salad recipe years ago, I tweaked the flavor and bumped up the pickles. Tuck this dill pickle pasta salad inside your picnic basket. —Elizabeth Kirchgatter, Maysville, Kentucky
LEMON GARLIC MUSHROOMS Lemon Garlic Mushrooms I baste whole mushrooms with a lemony sauce to prepare this simple side dish. Using skewers or a basket makes it easy to turn them as they grill to perfection. —Diane Hixon, Niceville, Florida
LEMON SORBET Lemon Sorbet Whether you serve it in chilled bowls or scoop it into cut lemon halves, this creamy four-ingredient sorbet is both sweet and tart. It makes a delightfully refreshing finish to any meal. —Goldene Petersen, Brigham City, Utah
LEMONADE ICED TEA Lemonade Iced Tea I have always loved iced tea with lemon, and this irresistible thirst-quencher takes it one step further. The lemonade gives this refreshing drink a nice color, too. —Gail Buss, New Bern, North Carolina
LEMON-GARLIC HUMMUS Lemon-Garlic Hummus You'll need just five ingredients to blend together this smooth and creamy bean dip. It's delicious and quick to make. —Kris Capener, Ogden, Utah
LEMONY PINEAPPLE ICED TEA Lemony Pineapple Iced Tea I like to garnish this iced tea with some of our sweet Hawaiian pineapple. —Beverly Toomey, Honolulu, Hawaii
MAGIC BROWNIE BARS Magic Brownie Bars When I was a kid, one of my all-time favorite treats was magic cookie bars. This recipe combines all the same classic flavors in a magic brownie bar! —Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
MARINATED CHICKEN AND ZUCCHINI KABOBS Marinated Chicken & Zucchini Kabobs These tasty (and healthy!) kabobs are a family favorite. You can change them up with turkey tenderloins and other veggies, like summery squash or sweet bell peppers. —Tammy Slade, Stansbury Park, Utah
Food Ingredient Recipe Dish Cuisine

MARSHMALLOW FRUIT DIP Marshmallow Fruit Dip You can whip up this sweet and creamy dip in just 10 minutes. I like to serve it in a bowl surrounded by fresh-picked strawberries at spring brunches or luncheons. —Cindy Steffen, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
MINTY WATERMELON-CUCUMBER SALAD Minty Watermelon-Cucumber Salad Capturing the fantastic flavors of summer, this refreshing, beautiful watermelon-cucumber salad will be the talk of any picnic or potluck. —Roblynn Hunnisett, Guelph, Ontario
ORANGE CREAM POPS Orange Cream Pops For a lower-fat alternative to ice cream-filled pops, try slurping this citrus novelty. The tangy orange flavor will make your taste buds tingle—while the silky smooth texture offers cool comfort, no matter how high the temperatures soar. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
RED POTATO SALAD DIJON Red Potato Salad Dijon My mother made the best warm potato salad, and now it's a tradition at all of our tables. Sometimes I use Yukon Gold potatoes to make it even prettier. —Patricia Swart, Galloway, New Jersey
ROCKY ROAD COOKIE CUPS Rocky Road Cookie Cups Traditional rocky road ice cream has nuts, marshmallows and chocolate. Using prepared cookie dough makes it easy to put the flavors together in these fast, kid-friendly rocky road cookis. —Charlotte McDaniel, Jacksonville, AL
SAUSAGE-STUFFED JALAPENOS Sausage-Stuffed Jalapenos If you like foods that pack a bit of a punch, you’ll love these jalapeno poppers filled with sausage and cheese. This is one of my favorite recipes for parties. —Rachel Oswald, Greenville, Michigan
SIMPLE MARINATED GRILLED PORK CHOPS Simple Marinated Grilled Pork Chops This pork chop marinade is so simple that I use it on all kinds of meat. For a more robust flavor, let the meat marinate in the refrigerator overnight. —Lori Daniels, Beverly, West Virginia
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Fines herbes

SLOW-COOKED SALSA Slow-Cooked Salsa I love the fresh taste of homemade salsa, but as a working mother, I don't have much time to make it. So I came up with this slow-cooked version that practically makes itself! —Toni Menard, Lompoc, California
Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Cuisine

SPINACH STEAK PINWHEELS Spinach Steak Pinwheels Bacon and spinach bring plenty of flavor to these sirloin steak spirals. It's an easy dish to make and perfect for backyard grilling. I always get lots of compliments. —Helen Vail, Glenside, Pennsylvania
TRAIL MIX COOKIE CUPS Trail Mix Cookie Cups My granddaughter helped create these cookie cups for the first time by using ingredients from my pantry and fridge. We used trail mix to jazz them up. —Pamela Shank, Parkersburg, West Virginia
Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Produce

Reactions: knittingagain
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top Bottom