Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, can you please help me I am thinking of purchasing new circular knitting needles, at the moment I have some from Spotlight, but the lady at my local knitting shop has told me they are no good, and should purchase the ones they have, I am sorry cant remember the brand, but would love to know what brands you prefer.

Di

·
Registered
27,122 Posts
It is personal preferences. It also depends on what yarn you are using and the pattern you are making. I am sure the lady at the store wants to make a sale and would love to sell you her brand.

·
Registered
882 Posts
First, are you unhappy with your needles? If the LYS clerk volunteered that your needles aren't good and you weren't looking for a replacement, I think that's the end of the conversation. If you're happy with the needle, 'nuff said.

However, if you are looking for a change, I swear by my Knitpicks interchangeable set -- http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Options_Sunstruck_Wood_Interchangeable_Needle_Set__D90613.html (currently on sale). I prefer the interchangeables to the fixed needles -- I like that I can increase the length of the cable as needed, that the little hole for tightening the needle makes adding lifelines easy, and that really, I don't need to buy needles again. (And if you decide you don't like them, Knitpicks is renowned for outstanding customer service.) I prefer the feel of bamboo, but as others have mentioned, it's entirely a personal choice.

Some projects scream for interchangeables -- if your project starts small and grows, it's a bother to have too long a cable at the beginning or too short a cable at the end. But if you're not sure you'll be using circulars, it may be more of an investment than you want.

Hope this helps!
Kate

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gee Kate, thank you no I am happy with what I have been using, but look forward to maybe sometime in the near future of changing from straight to circular full time. I live in Australia so not sure if they would return if I don't like them.

Di

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Just a bit ago there was a topic about this and I saved the following link: http://www.knittersreview.com/review/product/circular.asp review of kits of circulars

Still, there are lots of opinions and everyone has at least one favorite brand. If you can, go to a couple of LYS and see if they'll let you do a little test knit (bring your own yarn) with some of the ones they carry.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My personal preference is the Addi Turbos. I have both fixed circulars and the interchangeable set. They work for me as I want a slicker surface on the needles to help move my stitches along. They also have the Addi Turbo Rockets line which have a tip that is between the average tip and the lace tip needles. Since there is such a wide variety of brands, we each develop a preference for our knitting style. My LYS generally has needles and yarn to test out before buying.

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
Those cheapies (Birch brand) from Spotlight can have very rough joins, so beware. I bought 4 new sets a few years ago (in sizes I'd rarely use) and ALL of them had rough joins so I returned them all about 3 months later and they happily gave me a refund. If the joins are smooth they are OK to use. I still have some older Birch circs with smooth joins and I like using them... They aren't even that cheap nowadays, Addi's, are only a few dollars more expensive and are far superior IMO.
I have a set of Hiyahiya interchangeables which I love also, but the tips are very sharp, so I only use them for lace... The joins have never come apart on me...
I had a set of Addi lace interchangeables but I found the push/turn join came apart a few times and after that I was forever checking the connection... It must be how I hold and knit which made them come apart, they were definitely connected properly... In the end I returned them to my LYS for a refund. Luckily I had kept all the packaging...
I also have some wood Knit Pro interchangeables in larger sizes and they are nice to use. They have a screw in join with a key to tighten. I wanted metal but they only had wood. :sm01: :sm01: :sm01:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Every holiday my kids ask for a list of the things I want but might not could purchase myself. Between them and my DH I have acquired the Chiagoo interchangeable sets in both wood and metal. I dearly love these needles. They have sharp points, yarn glides so smoothly across them and I have never had a cable separate. Knitting is heavenly when you have good tools.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Boots and bras. What works for me work for you. The best thing is to go to a local shop and test knit with many styles.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I just bought a set of circular needles at my LYS. The clerk happened to be knitting with her own set and let me test drive them. I cannot immagine how needles could be better. The are carbon fiber shanks with really smooth electro-plated brass tips. Not the cheapest set but when I divide it by how many sets I would purchase separately, the cost is equal. I have been knitting with them for about a month and love using them! http://www.knitterspride.com/Materialwise-size-Details.asp?id=68

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Knitters Pride. I think they are called Knit Pro where you live. They have a wide variety of materials (Dreamz/wood, metal, acrylic, bamboo and Karbonz/poly carbonate). They come in long or shorter tips, in round or square (cubics) and it seems they are really good at adding or changing options. Most of their tips and cables are color coded for convenience. I really like the idea of switching tip materials for projects. I have sets but the ability of just buying individual tips are great. Knit Picks is their junior company, they are not as varied as Knitters Pride/knit Pro but their cables are interchangeable between both companies. I do agree with everyone else to "try before you buy" but a lot of the companies make starter sets which usually carry more than one material and just a couple of tips. Good luck on your choice.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom