Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if there are certain (knit) stitches that really show off the beauty of variegated yarns best.
I would think that a busy stitch would compete with the colors.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Sorry, not knit, but there is a stitch in crochet that I've used successfully using variegated yarn. A half double crochet worked in the third loop (either in the round; or going one way only). It looks a bit like a fisherman's rib. I've made a few scarves this way using variegated yarn and a large hook (a few mm larger than recommended for the yarn). It's simple enough to showcase the multicoloured yarn, and done with a large hook, takes on a soft and luxurious texture.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I'll usually either do a moss or linen stitch with variegated yarn. Both those stitches have enough texture to give some movement to the piece but aren't overwhelmed by the color changes.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
joyceagnes said:
Wondering if there are certain (knit) stitches that really show off the beauty of variegated yarns best.
I would think that a busy stitch would compete with the colors.

Any thoughts?
Sowooly has a pattern/stitch for variegated yarns here: https://sowoolly.net/knitting-patterns-for-variegated-yarns-part-1-star-stitch/

And this site has a bunch of different patterns that show off variegated yarns in various stitches here: https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knitting-Collections/Knitting-Patterns-for-Variegated-Yarn

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
bokemom said:
I'll usually either do a moss or linen stitch with variegated yarn. Both those stitches have enough texture to give some movement to the piece but aren't overwhelmed by the color changes.
Any pattern with slipped stitches really work well with variegated yarn. The slipped stitches break up the tendency of these yarns to 'pool'. That is one reason I like my favorite Backroad hat from Interweave Knits. Just enough purls to make a stretchy hat and just enough slipped stitches to break up even an ugly variegated yarn.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I love variegated yarns or more particularly the long colour change ones. I suppose these days I use them for the majority of my knitting. I frequently knit a sample of 30 stitches and just knit in stocking stitch until I see how the colour performs. I also look up the yarn on Ravelry and they usually have all the colours and I look at the projects done with either a particular colour or if I haven’t yet purchased then a range of colours.

Many yarns look lovely in a skein and sometimes don’t knit up how you think or some you wouldn’t look at twice in the skein and end up really great - Noro yarns are notorious for both of these.

Usually if I am knitting a sweater I do a ribbed bottom and just use stocking stitch.

I recently did the Good Vibrations scarf and it was excellent with a long colour change for the “leaves”.

They are also good for doing a mock fair isle where you just use a single variegated to do all the pattern stitches. One that comes to mind is Spring Fjords which is a Drops design and you can see it on Ravelry.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom