Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy knitting socks, and what I really enjoy is wearing them, but I don't have but a little time in the evenings to knit. I am now knitting "2 socks at a time, cuff down", have made one pair and working on another. Is the sock loom faster, or is there a knitting machine that would work as well. I am an intermediate knitter. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Speaking as someone who started knitting when she was ten and learning to knit by way of socks on dpns, I can say that I love the knitting process of handknitting with dpns. I am now going to be 51 in a few months. I had no pattern other than what came out of my mother's head. (Guess who thought her mother was a superhero???) I knit the socks two at a time because I have two sets of the dpns so that I can knit a section at a time and be finished the socks at the same time. I do love knitting socks on dpns from the cuff down. Sometimes it takes me a few months to get a pair knitted and sometimes I knit a pair in a week. It all depends on what is going on in the daily living and how well I am feeling.

From what I understand of the knitting machine/looms for knitting socks on, you will still have to take the socks off those needles/pins and turn the sock heel by hand. You also have to do the ribbing by hand and then transfer the sock to the machine/loom. It seems to me that this would be a whole lot of bother for me to do. If you are an intermediate knitter and enjoy the knitting process, I am not sure you would find as much satisfaction in using a machine/loom for the socks. Is there a knitting shop or a friend who can let you try the machine/loom out?? They can run up a few $$$ to purchase.

·
Registered
76,981 Posts
I would say the "best' way is the way you are more comfortable with. I have made 2 at a time on2 circulars, 2 at a time on 1 circular, and 1 at a time on DPN's. My favorite way?
DPN's. That is how I learned to knit socks. I wish I had started knitting at 10 1/2 years old, but I didn't start until after 40. The second class I took was a sock class. Whatever way that suits you the best will be the best way.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have been knitting socks for just a little over a year. Had knitted most of my life, but never anything complicated til Jan. '11. Never had used dpn's either until then. Our local quilt shop offered knitted sock lessons, so I took them. And now I am hooked on knitting socks. I only do cuff down, and on dpn's. The lady that taught me this way didn't know how to do socks on circular needles, so therefore I am not doing that. My socks get better with each pair, and just recently added the thicker heel to my socks. And the yarn for socks today is wonderful. So not ever using a machine to do socks, I would recommend do the best way you are compfortable with also. If you have to change to dpn's part of the time sounds to me like it might be an easy way to drop stitches. But there again, not all two people do the same thing all the time. Just have fun and don't dread it. If you have to start over so be it, do it until you get it right or it suits you!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I taught myself to knit from the internet about two years ago. YouTube is great for visual learners like me. I need to see it. I learned to knit socks from Kelley's Sock videos at Knit Picks. I use the Magic Loop method - one long circular needle. I've never tried two at a time and DPNs scare me! I call them "double pointed needles of death"! :) I love the portability of sock projects and my family loves getting and wearing them. Here is a picture of lace socks I made for my DIL.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
jinjin said:
I taught myself to knit from the internet about two years ago. YouTube is great for visual learners like me. I need to see it. I learned to knit socks from Kelley's Sock videos at Knit Picks. I use the Magic Loop method - one long circular needle. I've never tried two at a time and DPNs scare me! I call them "double pointed needles of death"! :) I love the portability of sock projects and my family loves getting and wearing them. Here is a picture of lace socks I made for my DIL.
Beautiful socks! Your DIL is lucky :)

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I taught myself to knit socks on dpn's, and enjoy knitting them that way, one at a time. I bought a two-at-a-time top down sock book, and if I ever feel like investing in really good quality long circular needles, I may try them. I like using the dpn's, because you can get a set of many sizes inexpensively, so you can knit socks in different yarn weights. I like to use scrap worsted to knit slipper socks for around the house, and have also knitted them in sport weight, as well as fingering.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Sock looms aren't all they are hyped up to be. I bought one and it was more bother and hassle trying the methods, even with the video instructions. The company is wonderful and has great customer service, but the loom is very difficult to work. I've been in correspondence with them, but it seems their answer is that the "demonstrator has no problem with the looms." I would stay away from the looms for at least a couple of years. Then see if they have improved. It takes much longer and much more work to do socks on the loom than with needles of any kind. I haven't used a knitting machine for many years. I prefer hand knitting for socks - I believe you will, too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Last summer I started knitting socks obsessively. I had done a couple of pairs on dpns in the past so I knew the mechanics, but decided to try some new techniques. I used a combination of 8 or 9 inch circulars and dpns for some, tried magic loop unsuccessfully, and made several pairs (both toe up and top down) using 2 long circulars (combined 24" & 30" circular Addi turbos & Addi laces so I would know easily which needle was the beginning). I never tried two at a time because I make too many mistakes that have to be unknit. After all the experiments, I completed 9 pairs of socks. I found I like toe up construction because you don't pick up any stitches at the gussett. I also like using 2 circulars because you are much less likely to drop stitches than on dpns. The short circulars tend to be a little awkward but are nice because there isn't any cable curling all over the place. To summarize, every technique seems to have its pros and cons. It's worth experimenting to find what works best for you. Sorry, I just realized I didn't address your question about the sock machine, but it may be worth a try. There are no hard and fast rules in knitting-it's about what works for you.

·
Premium Member
19,130 Posts
I prefer to hand knit socks that have a pattern in them, but the knitting machine is great for plain colors. I only use circular needles now, but have made many pairs on dpn before I learned how to do two at once, toe up one one circular. I have taught many classes on this technique.

I make a lot of my socks out of leftovers, and I want them to sort of match, so it's necessary to do them by hand.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your socks are lovely. I enjoy the process of knitting socks more than any other. Am on my 6th pair this winter. I too would like to know where to get the pattern. I have to go for the "free" patterns most of the time. My Grandmother taught me to knit, crochet and tat when I was 9 and am now 70. So much yarn so little time.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I bought an adjustable sock loom years ago, and found it to be extremely slow when compared to hand knitting.

Socks go faster if you use sport weight (size 2) yarn instead of fingering weight (size 1), but they are a bit bulkier.

As for time to knit, try taking them with you and working a row here-and-there when you have a few free moments during the day. You'd be surprised how many inches you can get done while waiting for things during a normal day.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
paulablanche said:
I really enjoy knitting socks, and what I really enjoy is wearing them, but I don't have but a little time in the evenings to knit. I am now knitting "2 socks at a time, cuff down", have made one pair and working on another. Is the sock loom faster, or is there a knitting machine that would work as well. I am an intermediate knitter. Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes there are machines (for home use) that knit socks, this if you want to pay $800.00 or more for the machine.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
When I learned to knit as a child, my first serious project was socks. Back then we only had the dpns. I hated them and if it wasn't for my grandmother teaching me to knit other things I would have given up knitting altogether. I got back to knitting socks when I heard about Magic Loop and now I keep at least one pair on the needles for quick knitting fixes. I have a friend that purchased one of the sock looms and after a week she had given up working with it. I am teaching her Magic Loop!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I love my sock loom. Indo not have to remove it for the heel or toe. I do the whole thing on the loom. See Isela Phelps' books. She has several out. It is like having fixed dpns. I am doing apair on loom, 2 circs, and dpns now to see which i like best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
paulablanche said:
I enjoy knitting socks also and I find doing it by hand is easier, at least for me. I've done 2 at a time on circulars but prefer dps. I also have a knitting machine. The entire sock can be knitted on the machine but there are a lot of seams to be sewn when you take it off the machine. Remember, knitting machines make flat fabric.
Yes, there are sock machines that knit in the round. They are available on eBay, are quite old, and sell for well over $700 US. How many socks would you have to make to get a return on your investment?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom