Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I am a very prolific afghan maker, so I rely on Red Heart Super Saver from the local Walmart. Some people hate it, but I find if you wash it and use liquid fabric softener, it comes out soft. If you want something nicer, Vanna's Choice is good, but I believe that you may have to match dye lots, unlike the Super Saver.

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
I just finished knitting a hat with "Red Heart Love" yarn and it is much softer than "Red Heart." The hat is really nice. But my favorite yarn for afghans is Vanna's Choice.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I use the Red Heart yarn for afghans. I make 12 or so a year. They wash up very soft...but they feel awful when your working on it. I have also used, I love this yarn, from Hobby Lobby and it is soooooo soft. I like Vanna too, but it can be pricing when making an afghan...I usually use about 56 oz. that adds up at 3 oz. a skein.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I know a lot of you don't like Homespun by Lion Brand, but I make all my afghans with it and love them. People who receives them are thirlled with them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anything ACRYLIC so that it can be thrown in both the washer and dryer. I use Red Heart Super Saver all the time as well as many others. To get past the scratchiness of the Red Heart, remove the label and throw the skeins into lingerie bags. Throw them into the wash with a bit of fabric softener and you are set to knit scratch free.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Right now I have a lap afgan over my knees that I made mid 70's. Always bought yarn for sale at K-mart back in the day -- same or similar to Red Heart -- goodness knows how many times this has been washed and dryed --

Any functional and washable yarn is best for afgans. Stay warm (I also love knitting with Homespun, but more for wraps or shawls.)

Take Joy,

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I too found that once Red Heart is washed it becomes sooo soft..My cousin left me an afghan to finish after she passed in a Broomstick lace. My first thought was how stiff and scratchy the yarn was...but I washed it once it was off the broomstick and finished it and it came out really soft. I too like the Bernat for an afghan..and if you have access to Ebay..and can win a sizeable lot or two of DazzleAire by Caron--then you have excellent yarn..

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom