Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm knitting "Citron Grand", using laceweight yarn on size 6 needles, done primarily in stockinette. I've never worked with lace weight - what join would you recommend when I have to add new yarn?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I used the magic knot when I knitted my shawl Mirage here on KP. I was using a sport weight 100% baby alpaca yarn on size 8 needle and when knitting with laceweight on Spring's Dance shawl, I used the Russian join.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
I prefer the Russian join or the braided join bc I don't like knots.
uTube has others you can check out and try to see what works in a particular situation.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
JAAZ said:
I'm knitting "Citron Grand", using laceweight yarn on size 6 needles, done primarily in stockinette. I've never worked with lace weight - what join would you recommend when I have to add new yarn?
"spit splice" or wet splicing is the best in my opinion - of course, you need to be using a natural yarn, not cotton, not superwash...

Some people think it is "too thick", but I've never had a problem with it. If you are using a yarn that is made of plies, you can always trim out one of the plies from each end first, if you think the thickness will be an issue.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I use magic knot for anything thinner than worsted weight; Russian splice join for anything worsted and thicker.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wet splice, I've found, is the best join to use when doing lace work. Overlap the yarn at least 3-4 inches, wet, and then rub between your palms until you feel lots of friction heat and the yarn ends appear to be felted together. You'll have to do the palm rub a few places along your overlapped yarn.

Once when I was blocking a large lace shawl I had a magic knot let go. At least that was what I originally thought. It turned out that the yarn broke right by the knot, probably from me tugging on the yarn to get the knot tight. It might have been a weak spot on the yarn to begin with. But what a horrible sinking feeling...when your hundreds of hours of work suddenly splits apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom