Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Binding off can be done on either side depending on your pattern. If your knitting ends with a right side row, and then you bind off, the BO will be done on the wrong side; if the knitting ends with a wrong side row, then the BO is done on the right side. Different methods sometimes work better from one side or the other and in different placements in garments (such as shoulders on sweaters.)

Your question is very general, so many variations in responses are possible. Do as your pattern instructs; or, if no instructions are given, you can go to YouTube for "bind off in knitting" and choose any one of several methods to try. Many have video tutorials, and it is interesting to try different methods to expand your repertoire of knitting technique.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just finished a jacket and wondered about the bind off because it was done along the front edge of the jacket. Someone on here told me about the crochet bind off you can find on You Tube. I'll never use anything else. It looks so professional and smooth and finished. I'm thrilled with it.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I knit a sweater recently that read "knit 8 more inches and bind off". I reached out to my KP friends whether to BO on the WS or RS.

If you have the choice, binding off on the wrong side is not visible... you won't notice the bound off stitches at all.. If you bind off on the right side, you will see the bound off edge.

I hope this makes sense. Perhaps do a little swatch and you will see that it looks a little bit different. I usually prefer not to see the bind off, so if given the option as in my sweater, I prefer to bind off on the WS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom