Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a block a day calendar thinking I would make a square a day for a year and end up with enough blocks to put together a blanket of some type. I saw that ladies are doing this and thought this would be good time for watching tv at night. My calendar came today and I am ready to get started ,and make up the last month too, but this calendar does not give any thing but the directions for each kind of stitch, How do I know how many stitches to put on to make the same size squares of each pattern? It gives multiples of stitches but I am not good enough knitter to figure out what I need, Please help! thank you

·
Premium Member
81,213 Posts
Sorry. Swatch and do the math. There's no easy way around that.

Also, think of how big your final blanket will be. Unless you're planning on making tiny (two-inches?) squares and even then ... 365 of them is one heck of a lot to join!
I've done two 99-square blankets. They seemed to take forever to assemble and one is still waiting for all the ends to be woven in!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
Sorry. Swatch and do the math. There's no easy way around that.

Also, think of how big your final blanket will be. Unless you're planning on making tiny (two-inches?) squares and even then ... 365 of them is one heck of a lot to join!
I've done two 99-square blankets. They seemed to take forever to assemble and one is still waiting for all the ends to be woven in!
I was thinking of making them into throws and having Christmas presents for grands, not really making a big blanket, don't think I would have the patience for all the ends, thank you for answer Guess I will go do a swatch

·
Registered
611 Posts
panella said:
I purchased a block a day calendar thinking I would make a square a day for a year and end up with enough blocks to put together a blanket of some type. I saw that ladies are doing this and thought this would be good time for watching tv at night. My calendar came today and I am ready to get started ,and make up the last month too, but this calendar does not give any thing but the directions for each kind of stitch, How do I know how many stitches to put on to make the same size squares of each pattern? It gives multiples of stitches but I am not good enough knitter to figure out what I need, Please help! thank you
Why do they all have to be the same size? It might be a more interesting blanket if you use a unifying color -- like cream or black - to knit or crochet around each block so they fit together in an attractive way. This could also be a means for putting them together.

I wanted that calendar for Christmas but nobody gave it to me. I guess it's too late to get one now. <whine>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MamaBonz 55 said:
panella said:
Why do they all have to be the same size? It might be a more interesting blanket if you use a unifying color -- like cream or black - to knit or crochet around each block so they fit together in an attractive way. This could also be a means for putting them together.

I wanted that calendar for Christmas but nobody gave it to me. I guess it's too late to get one now. <whine>
I wanted it for Christmas too and didn't get it so I ordered it this week from Amazon as a present to myself, lol somtimes that is the only way to get things we want! The edging idea sounds good~ I am using up small amounts of stash and a unifying color would prob be a good idea Thanks

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Are there beginners stitches in there? Or should i reserve getting it for when i am pretty good at knitting? That could be a while....

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Doing the math isn't terribly hard. Just basic stuff. First probably good to use all the same kind of yarn different colors great, but easier if you intend to use all worsted. If you are using scraps you can use some sport wieght by doubling or tripling the yarn. Make a swatch at least 6 X 6. use needle suggested on the lable of yarn. Measure the middle part of your swatch to determin your gauge over 4 inch square. Write this down. If your pattern says it is a multiple of say, 6 + 2 and your gauge is 4 sts to an inch and you want about a 10 inch square figure like this 4 X 10= 40 sts. Your multiple is 6, 40 divided by 6 is 36 sts. You use what comes closest to 40. In this case you have the multiple 6, which gives you 36 sts, now add the 2 sts your pattern says you need. This equals 38 sts.
This is what you would cast on 38 st. If it said multiple of 6 + 3, it would be 36 +3,= a cast on 39. Your square will be approx. 10 inch square. Because there are many differnet patterns the squares won't be perfect matches in size. Often with these kind of patterns a border is put on later as somelse suggested to even them all out.

·
Premium Member
81,213 Posts
realsilvergirl said:
Are there beginners stitches in there? Or should i reserve getting it for when i am pretty good at knitting? That could be a while....
You'll never get 'pretty good' unless you challenge yourself with things above 'beginners' levels! But you can just work stitches from stitch sites online, unless you prefer to have a pretty paper pattern in hand.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
panella said:
MamaBonz 55 said:
panella said:

I wanted it for Christmas too and didn't get it so I ordered it this week from Amazon as a present to myself, lol somtimes that is the only way to get things we want! The edging idea sounds good~ I am using up small amounts of stash and a unifying color would prob be a good idea Thanks
I just ordered mine from Amazon. I ordered it from their used books. I decided it didn't have to be new, just in good condition and all the pages there. I didn't want to pay full price. I am waiting for it. I think that I will do all the squares uniform size from yarn from my stash and then worry about putting them together for Christmas gifts afghans, throws, or lap robes or even blankets.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
My friend Hazel was scared of doing cables, but I told her they were simple and she could do them. She was only doing stockin stitch. She managed to make a beret with cables and with a little bit of help from me she finished it. If we have confidence in you you should have confidence in yourself. Go for something a little bit more difficult, such as in some patterns ** insted of one and next item choose *** stars. This is a good way to improve.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why couldn't you do stripes / long sections and change the stitches every so often. You would probably still have to do swatches and keep track of what you are doing - maybe strips for different sizes . . . Maybe use a garter stitch edging of 5 or 10 stitches that would be changed depending on the gauge.

·
Premium Member
81,213 Posts
gwest1955 said:
Why couldn't you do stripes / long sections and change the stitches every so often. You would probably still have to do swatches and keep track of what you are doing - maybe strips for different sizes . . . Maybe use a garter stitch edging of 5 or 10 stitches that would be changed depending on the gauge.
My mother did just that. While her blanket is warm and cuddly, it's also somewhat misshapen. Each strip may have the same number of stitch patterns, but they do not match up in length or width. Had they been worked as separate squares (sometimes rectangles!), they could have been adjusted to equal sizes by the addition of rounds of single crochet before final assembly. That's what I did using the same patterns as she, and my blanket is square.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
In simply knitting they have a library of stitches (patterns) for squares you could try some of them as a way of improving your skills. Or buy a book of 400 stitches and that has a lot of different stitches and some are very easy to do for a beginner and there are patterns for the more advanced. There is a web site to buy this book in America and I can't think of the website.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
First, I decided on using the same yarn and same size needles for all the blocks.

Second, I made a swatch in St st to obtain gauge.

Third, I decided how large each block would be.

Fourth, I decided to begin with the easiest sts first, so as to get caught up, since I started making blocks only last week (the last week in January).

Fifth, I chose six different colors, and worked up each color in the same stitch so as to make sure I really learned each stitch well.

The result so far is that I have worked up six blocks in St st (with a small garter st for a border all around, to prevent curling at the edges). Each block is a perfect 9x9 inch block worked up on #7 bamboo needles using Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice worsted.

My goal: to work up six different stitches on those six colors, giving a total of 36 blocks. I will then arrange the blocks in stair-step fashion (color-wise) and pattern-wise as well. The finished throw will be about 54 inches square.

The first throw will be constructed of Stockinette st (March 2), Garter st (March 1), Moss st (March 6), Seed st (March 5), Box st (March 7), and Fleck st (March 8). I chose these particular sts because they are super easy and I am determined to get caught up as fast as possible.

In the past two days I got all the Stockinettes done, and am now working on the Garter st blocks. Oh, and I am going to incorporate a small Garter st border around all 36 blocks, for ease in assembling the blocks into the finished throw. Besides, the Garter st borders will add a nice feature to the overall appearance.

As soon as my Calendar book arrived, I started in with rabid enthusiasm, and can't wait to see the finished first throw. I will then move on to more complicated stitch patterns in making more throws. I have a goal of making about one throw a month throughout the entire year.

Yes, some math work is needed for each pattern stitch chosen. That's a given. But it shouldn't be difficult to determine, and the use of markers to delineate the Garter stitch side borders will be a good idea to make sure the border is maintained correctly. HOPE THIS HELPS.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom