Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knit matching Chulo hats (Andean hats) for my son and granddaughter and puzzled over how to block them. In the past I would have steamed them with an iron but lately I do not want to bring out the iron at all. So I looked for something head shaped around the house. We have a six foot mannequin but his head seems narrower than most adult men's heads. I did not find anything comparable for my two year old granddaughter's head. So I decided to try using balloons, just cheap party balloons from Wally World. I wasn't sure about the final shape though. The results are great. The balloon swells up to fit the knitted shape of the hat. I have to admit that the hats looked like disembodied heads lying on the mat for a couple of days. They dried quickly, I was just too lazy to take out the balloons. And they fit my son and his daughter.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Just be careful on the dimensions of the balloon label. You don't want the type for balloon animals unless you're doing baby socks. <G>

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
ingrambead said:
I knit matching Chulo hats (Andean hats) for my son and granddaughter and puzzled over how to block them. In the past I would have steamed them with an iron but lately I do not want to bring out the iron at all. So I looked for something head shaped around the house. We have a six foot mannequin but his head seems narrower than most adult men's heads. I did not find anything comparable for my two year old granddaughter's head. So I decided to try using balloons, just cheap party balloons from Wally World. I wasn't sure about the final shape though. The results are great. The balloon swells up to fit the knitted shape of the hat. I have to admit that the hats looked like disembodied heads lying on the mat for a couple of days. They dried quickly, I was just too lazy to take out the balloons. And they fit my son and his daughter.
If you are talking about the short-brimmed hats the people in Peru wear, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE PATTERN!

I LOVE THOSE HATS!! AND I'VE HAD THE RED FEATHER I'M GOING TO ATTACH TO MINE FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS, JUST WAITING...

·
Registered
151 Posts
plant containers (pots), use them upturned, that's what I use when felting my hats. I have various sizes and the one I like best is a rounded bodied one. Obviously you may need to clean them and I also find that clay ones help my hats to dry quicker. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I blew the balloons to the correct size - newborn, child, etc - and covered them in papier mache. So if the balloon pops, I still have the shape. I had to put a thick enough layer so they wouldn't break once the balloon was gone. Lots cheaper than buying styrofoam balls, and you can inflate them to the exact size you want.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
memere said:
Thanks for the idea.
The fleece lined mukluks in your picture are very intriguing. Did you make those? They would be great for my granddaughter to wear in the dorm this winter. the soles of most knitted slipper socks look just way too slippery to be safe. Joan 8060

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Hope you post a picture.
ingrambead said:
I knit matching Chulo hats (Andean hats) for my son and granddaughter and puzzled over how to block them. In the past I would have steamed them with an iron but lately I do not want to bring out the iron at all. So I looked for something head shaped around the house. We have a six foot mannequin but his head seems narrower than most adult men's heads. I did not find anything comparable for my two year old granddaughter's head. So I decided to try using balloons, just cheap party balloons from Wally World. I wasn't sure about the final shape though. The results are great. The balloon swells up to fit the knitted shape of the hat. I have to admit that the hats looked like

disembodied heads lying on the mat for a couple of days. They dried quickly, I was just too lazy to take out the balloons. And they fit my son and his daughter.
Hope your post a picture.....are you talking hats with knitted on ear flaps? or the bowler type? Joan 8060

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom