Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When blocking either knitted or crocheted items, what do you use for the backing? to pin the item to? I have several fairly large wraps that need to be blocked, but they're bigger than the ironing board. Is there a mat?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
You can buy interlocking mats at Wal-Mart,Harbor Freight, or the big hard ware stores. You can also use foam insulation from Lowe's or any hardware store. They may even cut it for you. Lastly, you can even use the spare bed. Or the floor.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
you can also use the big foam floor puzzles you buy for your kids to play with. you put them together and place them on your bed when finish pull the puzzle apart

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! I feel kind of like "duh"...but, I have a much better concept of how to do this, now. You give so many good variations! Saw some of the foam interlocking blocks just the other day at the thrift store, but wasn't thinking creatively. Suggestions were much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
knitpicky1 said:
Thank you all! I feel kind of like "duh"...but, I have a much better concept of how to do this, now. You give so many good variations! Saw some of the foam interlocking blocks just the other day at the thrift store, but wasn't thinking creatively. Suggestions were much appreciated!
I have to agree with this statement though I knew of all the other suggestions and I have a board I specially made for my doilies I never thought of the interlocking foam blocks my GD has a set she loves to play with now Gramma has a reason to play with them too!!! :thumbup: :D

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
chriso1972 said:
you can also use the big foam floor puzzles you buy for your kids to play with. you put them together and place them on your bed when finish pull the puzzle apart
Just a note of caution: I have seen other posts saying that the pink or red tiles from these foam floor puzzles bled onto the work being blocked.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
knitpicky1 said:
make sure that if those foam interlocking blocks are colored that you lay a sheet over them .... some have had some issues with the color transferring.. mine are large and grey so I don't have this problem.. I have also used my Yoga mat.... LOL at least it get used right?? some day I may take up Yoga lessons and use it for its intended use... :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I purchased my mat at Menards (the home improvement store). They are jig saw play mats (for little children) and are soft so you can stick needles in easily. They have them in the flooring-carpeting section. They come in packages of 4 (I believe). I love mine! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have a cloth covered padded board that is specifically made for blocking. At one time the printed fabric to make a board like this was available at Lacis in Berkely, CA, but I don't know if they still have them.

It's a simple project to make your own padded board with cotton canvas, marking circles and lines to use as a guide. I like the board because I can put it out of the way when not in use, and move it easily outside to help with the drying process when I've used moisture, or after washing. When not in use, I cover it with a pillow-case type cover that I made from an old sheet so that it doesn't collect dust or acquire marks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom