Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I asked for input on blocking. This one doesn't need responses---I just wanted to update on my findings. I blocked the stockinette gauge I knitted for the sweater I'm working on. It's Patons 100% hand-washable wool. I wet the little piece in tepid to warm water and patted it out on a towel to dry. Now that I've finished the back piece of the sweater (all stockinette stitch with the bottom edge in a moss rib pattern) comparing the blocked with the unblocked is really an eye-opener! The blocked swatch is smooth and very even, very professional, while the unblocked piece looks rough and fuzzy, very home-spun looking, and that isn't the style of this sweater. So I'm a believer! I'll block the pieces as I go, before sewing them together. I figure this is way too much work not to have it finish looking the best possible. Maybe it'll even minimize any bobbles I might make! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Depends on whether you used wool or acrylic yarn. It it is acrylic and you washed it by hand, gently lay it flat in a towel, roll it up and squeeze our the excess moisture, then lay it to the measurements you desire on a dry towel to dry. If you used your washing machine, you have to dry it in the dryer to get back the original shape.If the sweater is not dirty and needs soap and a wash, wet it in clear water and lay it out. Cotton sweaters are blocked after a rinse in clear water right after assembling.
If it is of wool use tepid water and a mild soap it it is soiled to wash the sweater, rinse well and roll it to get out the water. And lay it flat to dry. Use your measuring tape and write down the measurements before washing either one so you have them to go by when drying and blocking.

Carol J.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
A gentle pat is all that is needed,your hands will lay out the sweater, needs no pinning. The moisture in it will be heavy enough. This will be two thicknesses so it will take a couple days to dry, you can change the wet towel to a dry one after a day, I have done that and turned the sweater over. Easy does it, don't fuss too much and don't use an iron to speed the job. If you have a large piece of plastic mesh, you won't need the towel, the air will dry it from both sides. I used to have a piece with a dowel on each side and propped it over the bath tub and laid knitted articles on it to dry. My new dryer has an air only setting but I haven't tried it yet, an attachment came with it. I wouldn't be afraid to use it if I had something wool to wash.

Carol J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom