Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been knitting for 42 years and have not blocked before.i am making a shawl for my mother in law with mohair.it is rectangular and i will be adding crochet flowers and knitted stems.i am askingif there is any info about blocking mohair , and should i block before i add the flowers etc ,or block the finished item.i have looked at links but am reluctant to try as i dont want to damage the item.i am hoping that some one has already done this and can help me.thankyou in anticipation

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Mohair should only be sprayed. So it wouldn't matter if you had the flowers on the shawl or not.

http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/17

Mohair is weaker when wet. Pin & spritz. When all done, a good brushing will pull the halo up, soft & fuzzy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have just found this on a website:

Cashmere is extraordinarily fine, hence its legendary softness. It's more fragile and less elastic than wool, and gets weaker when wet. Just pin to dimensions, spritz until damp, and let dry.

I would do this and then add the flowers after it's dried, but do sample piece first. Good luck especially if it's for your mother in law, who I'm sure is a lovely person.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kay2906 said:
I have just found this on a website:

Cashmere is extraordinarily fine, hence its legendary softness. It's more fragile and less elastic than wool, and gets weaker when wet. Just pin to dimensions, spritz until damp, and let dry.

I would do this and then add the flowers after it's dried, but do sample piece first. Good luck especially if it's for your mother in law, who I'm sure is a lovely person.
thank you kay yes my mothe rin law is an angel and she loves handcrafted gifts.after all the fi bre in my nose and eyes ,i would not like to do it again

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweetsue said:
Mohair should only be sprayed. So it wouldn't matter if you had the flowers on the shawl or not.

http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/17

Mohair is weaker when wet. Pin & spritz. When all done, a good brushing will pull the halo up, soft & fuzzy.
thank you i was nervous about just working from a link but i will read it .

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I recently made a lovely lace cable shawl and blocked it by pinning it down (not stretching it) and then spraying it with water. After that using my hand I patted it down on the sides and it dried beautifully.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Savta5 said:
I recently made a lovely lace cable shawl and blocked it by pinning it down (not stretching it) and then spraying it with water. After that using my hand I patted it down on the sides and it dried beautifully.
thankyou that sounds like the go i am going to try that.hope you have a wonderful christmas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pzoe said:
What is used to brush mohair? How do you brush it?

Pzoe
i am not sure ,it would have to be something gentle i would think.maybe some one who knows could enlighten us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom