Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I sometimes block my knits, just depends on what I'm making. I just soak the knitted piece in cold water, blot in a towel ( do not wring!) and shape to desired measurements. blocking is helpful if you want to make something a little larger too. blocking actually makes a garment or piece look more " finished ". There are a lot of tutorials on knitting websites or You tube videos demonstrating different techniques for blocking.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Gramto2 gave you a good overview on blocking. I wet block some items and some I steam block. Blocking is essentially "finishing" your knitting to even out your stitching and to ensure the piece is the correct dimensions.

Blocking is another element of knitting (as choosing yarns) that takes a little knowledge and some practice to become proficient as it makes a HUGE difference in the appearance of your knits.

There is a lot of great information on blocking here on KP or by doing a search on the Internet.

Attachments

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
azhilary said:
Question: if one gives a blocked item as a gift, must item be blocked each time laundered ?
With natural fibers they will need to be blocked after each laundering, however, as with this sweater.... Blocking consists of soaking in wool wash, drying in a towel and lying flat to dry... This is no different than you would hand wash any garment.

As for the lace shawl, it required stretching and pinning. Shawls and scarves rarely require frequent laundering. If I give such an item as a gift, I include a note saying that I would be happy to wash for them when the time comes. With SOME gifts, I have INSISTED that the recipient do not try to launder! Lol

If your item is acrylic, it must be steam blocked and that blocking IS permanent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for your help on blocking. Do you block the pieces before joining them together or do it after the garent is completed?

Gramto2 said:
I sometimes block my knits, just depends on what I'm making. I just soak the knitted piece in cold water, blot in a towel ( do not wring!) and shape to desired measurements. blocking is helpful if you want to make something a little larger too. blocking actually makes a garment or piece look more " finished ". There are a lot of tutorials on knitting websites or You tube videos demonstrating different techniques for blocking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have never blocked my knitting and until joining this site I have never heard of it but I must admit you can tell the difference especially with the shawls.
I think I am scared to try now.
I have just knit a ribbed cardigan for my Grandson that I am convinced needs blocking to get it to the correct measurements so do I block it before I knit the front bands or after. can I just pin it and put a damp cloth over it? It is acrylic.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Wonderful answers, I learned a lot. Have only attempted to block 1 shawl but have another on my needles that I hope will be done soon. My grandmother used to crochet fancy cotton doilies that she would spend hours starching and stretching. I never could get one of those to look good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom