Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not blocked any of my knitting to date but want to start. I need some guidance. First, what do you find the best method, second do I spend the money on a blocking board or is there other options and third, where have you purchased you blocking wires. I'm hoping that Hobby Lobby will have some. Thank for your input !
Deb

Attachments

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I use foam tiles that fit together like puzzle pieces to make a large mat. You can get them at sporting goods stores..to make an exercise mat. I block everything that I make as blocking is the finishing touch to any hand knit or crochet item. I've never seen blocking wires at Hobby Lobby. Knitpick's has reasonably priced blocking wires.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I will look for those. One more question, if I may, how do you block the wavey edge? Just a the top of each curve? How does that work with the blocking wires?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The problem with getting the welding wires is you have to shape the ends so they don't snag the yarn. Not a problem if you have a grinder and time. I know someone who did it and said if she had to do it again, she'd just order from KnitPicks. That's where I got mine along with the stainless T-pins. Bought my mat at Lowe's: 4 2'x2' squares that jigsaw together in any configuration for $19.99 - in the flooring dept.

Several different ways to block depending on the yarn. Just search "blocking" on Knitting Daily/Interweave Knits website and you'll get info. Acrylics don't change much with blocking, but natural fibers should always be blocked.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Hey, pop in a search and you'll find about four ways to block and one may fit your needs. Dry, several wet blocking, methods.......using blocking boards, how to make your own.....

Hobby lobby has their 40% off in-store coupon going now through the 14th. If you don't have it, hit their .com site.

They have a customer service/order number, too and you can inquire about costs if you didn't find a blocking board by surfing, also. I've seen some that fold up, snap shut and have handles; Pricey.

I read somewhere that your own boards could be made, too out of a material that can be obtained at lumber yards....___?____site? Draw your own grids = inexpensive.

If you want to visit more, send me a private message......

Good luck!!
~~~~~~~

New2Knitten said:
I have not blocked any of my knitting to date but want to start. I need some guidance. First, what do you find the best method, second do I spend the money on a blocking board or is there other options and third, where have you purchased you blocking wires. I'm hoping that Hobby Lobby will have some. Thank for your input !
Deb

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a blocking board and use foam "puzzle" tiles when the blocking board isn't big enough (I'm thinking of investing in a second blocking board). I prefer the blocking board for mainly two reasons: 1) It's a nice firm service that holds the project, blocking wires and pins well and 2) It has measurements that allow you to block to the exact size needed (more important for fitted items). If you're serious, I think the blocking board is a very worthwhile investment and will make you task much easier.

·
Registered
523 Posts
All you really need are T-pins. I don't have a blocking board yet. I just got some wires, but my latest project worked better with just pins. I pin it to a large beach towel or a sheet. This way you can get started with minimum expense and add the extra tools later. Whether you need to pin or not depends of the project and the fiber. Lace projects sometimes need blocking to open up the pattern. I posted my Haruni shawl last week. It is very lacy, but made with a linen/silk yarn that I mostly just smoothed into place with my fingers and put in a pin every few inches just to keep it in place. I did not have to pin each of the loops. I was surprised. I expected the pattern would need more and it probably would have with a different yarn. I always think about the recipient as well. I made a lace neck muff for my mother for Christmas. She has had several strokes. My dad now does the laundry, so I made it with sock yarn so it can go into the washer, dryer, and no blocking. If the recipient is going to need to block it when washed, I include a package of T-pins and instructions for washing and blocking with the gift. My last recipient got such a laugh out of the idea of wrapping it in a towel and standing on the towel to squeeze the water out.

Bonnie

·
Registered
89 Posts
The project you are showing us really doesn't look like it needs much more than a light steam pressing. If you want to block it you can do so by getting it wet then roll it up in a dry towel or 2 if necessary. Then put it on the floor and jump on the towel to get most of the moisture out. Then use T-pins and block it out on the carpet. I got this information from Meg Swansen. I have her shawl DVD and it shows this way of blocking.

·
Registered
500 Posts
when you knit or crochet an item, it sometimes does not lie flat and in the shape you intended it to be in when you are done. Sometimes the edges curl up, too. I soak the item in warm water and a little drop of downy. I gently squeeze as much water out of it as I can (Don't wring it!!) then I lay it flat on a towel and roll it up in the towel, blotting as I go along. This extracts most of the water. Now the item will be damp. Lay it on another clean dry towel and put it into the shape you want it to be in. Sometimes you may have to pin the edges down, gently. Let it air dry, or if it's a nice day, lay it on a table near a window or outside. Never ever IRON a knitted item to block it. That will flatten out the stitches forever!! If it's a larger item, you may need a few towels, or a mat to lay it on. After reading the remarks that people made, I see that they sell foam blocks and you can use as many as you need to make it as large as you need it to be.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom