Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I really need to read this... Thanks for the info. For some reason, I've made blocking a mountain to climb! (in my head). I'm working on a shawl and plan to block it. This isn't any big deal. Maybe it's a throw back from all the times I have shrunk wool at some point in my life. :oops:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you sooooo much! I'm almost finished with a lace shawl and will need to block it and although I've been knitting and crocheting for a while, I'm not quite sure how to block this piece, which will definitely need it! You're a life saver.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
This Christmas I asked my Secret Santa for blocking blocks and T pins from Knitpicks. I have been blocking every scarf that I have...one right after the other. What a difference! Blocking is surely the fairy godmother of lace knitting. There is nothing like blocking to make a scarf look great.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Dreamfli said:
ok anyone have any hints on how to block a shawl without buying the blocking blocks. (real limited budget)
I am not an experience blocker, but this is what I did. Here was my set up..... I took a large Turkish towel and put it on my tile table. As I was working with wool, I took a spray bottle of water to the whole thing stretching and pulling on the shawl to look like the picture. The points I took long pins and worked them down through the wool and the towel to hold in place. Then I cranked up the old steam iron and steamed it being careful not to put the iron right on the wool. I still have question as to whether or not you try to keep the fluff of the wool, but when I posted everyone said it looked fine. At this point in time, I'm not really interested in buying all the gadgets to block the garment. Maybe I will when I understand the whole thing better. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom