Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from the knitters here. I hope I can explain this well.
Not sure of how to interpret the Capelet pattern.

CO 54(56, 62, 62, 66, 66) sts for sizes S(M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL). I cast on 56 stitches and the next line seems to be a set-up line which is all knit but has you place 10 markers at designated points. No problem with that. Then it says:

Begin increases using a M1L before markers 2-9 every 2 rows 0(0, 0, 0, 0, 2) times, every 4 rows 5(7, 7, 8, 8, 7) times, then every 6 rows 6(5, 5, 5, 5, 5) times while working in the following pattern: (and a 10 row pattern follows that seems fairly straightforward ... but the increases are being made all the way through this pattern, correct?)

I understand that the M1 will take place before the markers 2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and 9 every 2 rows but then it says 0 times except for the largest size which says 2 times.
So, does that mean that I do those increases for that row and then 2 rows later and move on to the rest of the instructions OR do I skip it altogether because of the 0 times? But I do the increases 7 times but every 4 rows and then 5 times every 6 rows?

I am fairly new to knitting but I don't understand why they would write an instruction and then tell you to do it 0 times .... is this typical?

The rest of the pattern is mainly stockinette with increases and decreases for buttonholes.
It lists 10 rows, then says to repeat rows 1-10 once and then repeat rows 1-5. That's 25 rows.
But the increases line (above) says do every 4 rows, 7 times (28 rows completed?) and then every 6 rows, 5 times (30 rows completed?). Is that the way to count this?
Continue increases while working the first 6 and last 6 sts in Garter st and the remainder of the sts in Stockinette.

This is considered an Easy/Intermediate pattern .... really?

I had hoped to make some headway on the start of this but .... not going to happen tonight.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
Zero for your size means you don't perform that action in that row/round.
So I just skip that part? Why not word it to say (for 3XL size only do ..... ) and then go on. Never saw that before.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
You're doing size medium, so you just follow the first set of numbers just inside the parentheses all the way through. It sometimes helps to highlight those you are working with so as to not get confused. You don't start any increases until the 4th row, then you repeat the increases every 4th row 7 times, then repeat increases every 6th row 5 times. At the same time, you will follow the pattern rows 1-10, repeating 1-10 a second time, then rows 1-5 once. At that point, you should have reached 152 stitches, the way I'm reading it.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all .... the big piece I was missing was needing to start on the 4th row. I didn’t know what ‘0 times’ meant. I have seen patterns that say things like ‘for size 3XL only, do’ blah, blah, blah .... and then go on to other instructions. This was new to me.

Thanks so much, everyone.

Oh, and GrumpyGramma, I looked at the project comments and everyone else seemed to have no issues. But one of the people listed a particular group on her project page and I know the person who runs that group. It was a ‘small world’ connection. I never thought of looking at other people’s projects. Thanks for that suggestion, too.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
mathrox said:
Thank you all .... the big piece I was missing was needing to start on the 4th row. I didn't know what '0 times' meant. I have seen patterns that say things like 'for size 3XL only, do' blah, blah, blah .... and then go on to other instructions. This was new to me.

Oh, and GrumpyGramma, I looked at the project comments and everyone else seemed to have no issues. But one of the people listed a particular group on her project page and I know the person who runs that group. It was a 'small world' connection. I never thought of looking at other people's projects. Thanks for that suggestion, too.
Well I have to fess up, I misread the pattern. I thought all the sizes had a 0 for that part and that's why I thought it weird and suggested looking at projects. It's going to be very pretty!

·
Premium Member
81,260 Posts
mathrox said:
Thank you all .... the big piece I was missing was needing to start on the 4th row. I didn't know what '0 times' meant. I have seen patterns that say things like 'for size 3XL only, do' blah, blah, blah .... and then go on to other instructions. This was new to me.

Oh, and GrumpyGramma, I looked at the project comments and everyone else seemed to have no issues. But one of the people listed a particular group on her project page and I know the person who runs that group. It was a 'small world' connection. I never thought of looking at other people's projects. Thanks for that suggestion, too.
No, you don't skip knitting the first three rows.
Before you begin row one, it says:
Begin increases using a M1 before markers 2-9 every 2 rows 0 (0, 0, 0, 0, 2) times, every
4 rows 5 (7, 7, 8, 8, 7) times, then every 6 rows 6, (5, 5, 5, 5, 5) times
while working in the following pattern:

You still need to knit the first rows, before the zero instruction.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Where it says increase 0 times for your size, you don't do that increase on that row. You still work the row.

The way it's written is a fairly common way of writing knitting instructions. It likely won't be the last time you come across this in a knitting pattern. It is done to prevent writing out separate instructions for each size.

·
Premium Member
81,260 Posts
targa416 said:
Where it says increase 0 times for your size, you don't do that increase on that row. You still work the row.

The way it's written is a fairly common way of writing knitting instructions. It likely won't be the last time you come across this in a knitting pattern. It is done to prevent writing out separate instructions for each size.
Those are the patterns which I type out, excluding the sizes/instructions which don't apply to the size I'm making. I began doing that on my manual typewriter; it's much faster on a computer. :sm15:

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
No, you don't skip knitting the first three rows.
Before you begin row one, it says:
Begin increases using a M1 before markers 2-9 every 2 rows 0 (0, 0, 0, 0, 2) times, every
4 rows 5 (7, 7, 8, 8, 7) times, then every 6 rows 6, (5, 5, 5, 5, 5) times
while working in the following pattern:

You still need to knit the first rows, before the zero instruction.
Oh, I understand that .... but no increases until the 4th row. I would have made increases on the first and third row, otherwise.

·
Registered
157,774 Posts
JeanBlain said:
You're doing size medium, so you just follow the first set of numbers just inside the parentheses all the way through. It sometimes helps to highlight those you are working with so as to not get confused. You don't start any increases until the 4th row, then you repeat the increases every 4th row 7 times, then repeat increases every 6th row 5 times. At the same time, you will follow the pattern rows 1-10, repeating 1-10 a second time, then rows 1-5 once. At that point, you should have reached 152 stitches, the way I'm reading it.
Well written. When a designer has several sizes available, the "0" is a placeholder for different sizes if those sizes do not need to perform that function. Yes, it can be a bit difficult to understand, especially if you are new to knitting. Just highlight the number for the size you are doing. If there is a "0", you do not do that increase. Just continue in the established pattern.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Starting to do this .... I understand how it works, now.

Thanks to everyone for your help! And so fast!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom