Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used one? Is it easy to use? I bought one for my mother 15 years ago and she never even took it out of the box. She now has Alzheimer's, so I am certain she will never use it. I enjoy the journey of hand knitting, so a knitting machine has never been on my "must have" list. I am wondering if I should try it, or sell it.

Denyse

·
Registered
442 Posts
I recently bought a bond knitting machine from ebay and am leaning how to use it from video's on you tube I have started knitting baby's hooded sweater all instructions can be found on you tube for the sweater too.
I'm glad I bought mine, as its the only machine I know of that you can knit items from hand knit patterns, and do them in a fraction of the time it would take to hand knit, I would give it a try before you think about selling. but its up to you. let us know how you get on. and what you decide to do.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
squarepeg78 said:
Has anyone here used one? Is it easy to use? I bought one for my mother 15 years ago and she never even took it out of the box. She now has Alzheimer's, so I am certain she will never use it. I enjoy the journey of hand knitting, so a knitting machine has never been on my "must have" list. I am wondering if I should try it, or sell it.

Denyse
please don't sell till you try it....go to youtube and check out clogden21...she has different machines and demos on each...you might see something that tempts you...i have had an assortment of knitting machines for more than 20 years but i have learned a huge amount from her videos...she is also a member here...

·
Registered
127 Posts
squarepeg78 said:

Denyse
I had one for years and made money selling sweaters that I made.
Take your time, it gets easier as you go.
Good luck.
Suzie

·
Registered
311 Posts
squarepeg78 said:

Denyse
I've never used one myself, but I've heard some very favorful coments about these machines. If it has instructions and you can read, go for it. LOL Otherwise let me know how much you want for it and maybe we can strike a deal. [email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
:) I must say ... that I love my bond ulitmate sweater machine. You can still buy parts for it and you can still get replacement hems and make hems if you wish. I also own other machines. I love it and have used it to make several nice items from shawls to cowls to scarves and have actually started a sweater. Go for it ... try it ... see what you think .. we have a very avid use here (not me) on this blog too. I am sure she will see your post

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hi, I have a Bond and just love it. I used it years ago to knit for my teenage daughter. Made sweaters. Very simple to use and you can do some easy lace and cables. When I made the last sweater on it, I made the body of the sweater and then hand knit the sleeves with fancy yarn in a contrasting color.

Since I am now into SOCKS and Lace Shawls, don't use it as much.

Judy in TX

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree. Ihave one also. Just take your time & read the instructions. It makes that boring stocking stitch just whizz by. I have made all kinds of things on mine....mittens, socks, sweaters, hats, afghans, etc.

I also have five "regular" knitting machines. They are a joy, but won't do the worsted weight yarns. The bond will do everything they will do, but you must manually put the needles into position. This is still quicker than hand knitting, but I miss the feel of the needles in my hands.

Best of luck with your new toy. I hope you enjoy it. Just remember to be patient with yourself.

Dawn T.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Bond & have enjoyed using it. There are Bond knitting clubs / groups that you can join. The group here in the Triad was very helpful and spent time with anyone who needed to learn how to use the machine etc at each meeting. Also join the Bond Machine site for lots of free patterns, videos & help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends why you are knitting. I used to knit for my family, all kind of sweaters, hats, sox, mittens etc. and loved to do it by machine,because it is easy and less time consuming. Right now I knit while I am watching TV. or just relax. For that purpose I think hand knitting is more relaxing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love my USM. I started with the instruction book that came with it and did each page beginning with p. 1. Then I made each article, since each one teaches a new technique. I have made all in the book thru the child's and man's sweaters.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom