Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry I can't remember, but a few days ago someone was talking about knitting two socks at the same time and they listed the name of the book. I didn't jot it down and I should have. Can someone help me with that. I'd like to find it. Thanks so much. Jan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,116 Posts
((((((( I've got a book on the way about it as I like a large library suplemented by the web and in the meantime I surfed and found this main link:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=two+socks+at+a+time+knit&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&fp=ee7ae51cefa9981c

Maybe there's something in it that will pique your interest.

Good luck~
~~~~~~

i
janj said:
Hi, sorry I can't remember, but a few days ago someone was talking about knitting two socks at the same time and they listed the name of the book. I didn't jot it down and I should have. Can someone help me with that. I'd like to find it. Thanks so much. Jan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
2-at-a-time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes

It just came in the mail the other day and I haven't had time to start any. The illustrations and directions look easy to follow. It will be my first attempt at knitting socks and I'm very excited about it. I ordered it from Joann Fabrics online.

Marie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. A plethera of info.I will have fun going over and over this. Thank you. I read more then I comment, but have noticed your knowledge before. You are an asset to all of us. Thanks again, Jan
e.ridenh said:
((((((( I've got a book on the way about it as I like a large library suplemented by the web and in the meantime I surfed and found this main link:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=two+socks+at+a+time+knit&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&fp=ee7ae51cefa9981c

Maybe there's something in it that will pique your interest.

Good luck~
~~~~~~

i
janj said:
Hi, sorry I can't remember, but a few days ago someone was talking about knitting two socks at the same time and they listed the name of the book. I didn't jot it down and I should have. Can someone help me with that. I'd like to find it. Thanks so much. Jan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Marie, This is the book I was thinking about! Quess what I found 5 mins ago??? The name of the book that I DID write down, but had forgot and placed it in a never to be found again place, but I did find it! Sorry to have forgotten, but thanks for the info. Appeciated it. I'm anxious to try this. Have never tried socks before, so... Jan
GrammysFineGifts said:
2-at-a-time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes

It just came in the mail the other day and I haven't had time to start any. The illustrations and directions look easy to follow. It will be my first attempt at knitting socks and I'm very excited about it. I ordered it from Joann Fabrics online.

Marie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
Just in case someone is looking for more alternatives - I have 2.
1. I got another book that I liked...Knitting circles around socks by Antje Gillingham. The book is very detailed on the method, and has several varied sock patterns that I liked. I checked it out from the library first and liked it so much I bought it.
2. This is an old one. If you have 2 sets of DPNs you can easily knit 2 at once. Cast on first and do first step - leg or toe. stop; Cast on second do first step, etc. Going back and forth helps avoid the second sock syndrome. That never afflicted me, but i understand it is common. I did this with a pair of baby socks and it's easy to do. At the time I wasn't sure if I would like circulars and didn't want to buy more. Now I have and am trying to learn 2 at a time and then I want to do the magic loop. I find it's fun to learn new techniques.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
2-at-a-time SOCKS, Melissa Morgan-Oakes (be sure to look up errata - corrections - there are quite a few!)

Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles, Cat Bordhi

From my Library to yours!
Susan

I find whenever I use a pattern - be it book, magazine, or other - I search out the ERRATA - Corrections, corrections everywhere!!! (who proofs these things??? us - the users!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,412 Posts
GrammysFineGifts said:
2-at-a-time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes

It just came in the mail the other day and I haven't had time to start any. The illustrations and directions look easy to follow. It will be my first attempt at knitting socks and I'm very excited about it. I ordered it from Joann Fabrics online.

Marie
I got one just like yours from Amazon.com for $6.97 plus 3.99 P&H.

I love it and after 3 or 4 efforts, I have it figured out. The only thing I could add is that be very sure you don't drop stitches, as.... if for any reason you take the loops out of the needles, you will end up unraveling it all and starting over. NO FUN!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Also, try Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy Johnson. I have made a pair of lace socks from this book and it was very easy to follow. She gives instructions for several types of heel and toes. Also, if you try toe up socks, look on the web for Judy's Magic Cast-on. It makes a really nice toe. After I gave my daughter the socks, we found an almost identical pair in a well known shoe store for $25. Needless to say, she is really proud of her hand knitted lace socks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I'm fond of Queen Kahuna's book and method - pricey but very understandable. I love the techniques and am now quite adept at knitting two socks at a time. I love doing it on one long circular needle - the magic loop method, but many people use two circular needles. I'll have to post some photos of what I have otn. Good luck!

Susan (yes, another one)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, that sounds interesting. I'll go check it out. I agree it's good to try new things. You never know what you might really like until you give it a try...like knitting and crocheting...lol Jan
martyr said:
Just in case someone is looking for more alternatives - I have 2.
1. I got another book that I liked...Knitting circles around socks by Antje Gillingham. The book is very detailed on the method, and has several varied sock patterns that I liked. I checked it out from the library first and liked it so much I bought it.
2. This is an old one. If you have 2 sets of DPNs you can easily knit 2 at once. Cast on first and do first step - leg or toe. stop; Cast on second do first step, etc. Going back and forth helps avoid the second sock syndrome. That never afflicted me, but i understand it is common. I did this with a pair of baby socks and it's easy to do. At the time I wasn't sure if I would like circulars and didn't want to buy more. Now I have and am trying to learn 2 at a time and then I want to do the magic loop. I find it's fun to learn new techniques.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. Do you have any photos of what it looks like in process with the 2 socks on the magic loop? I'm a very visual person and it relly helps. Thanks if you can. Jan
boppies said:
I'm fond of Queen Kahuna's book and method - pricey but very understandable. I love the techniques and am now quite adept at knitting two socks at a time. I love doing it on one long circular needle - the magic loop method, but many people use two circular needles. I'll have to post some photos of what I have otn. Good luck!

Susan (yes, another one)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your right, that is no fun. I'll have to try really hard not to screw up. Thanks for the heads up. Jan
wordpaintervs said:
GrammysFineGifts said:
2-at-a-time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes

It just came in the mail the other day and I haven't had time to start any. The illustrations and directions look easy to follow. It will be my first attempt at knitting socks and I'm very excited about it. I ordered it from Joann Fabrics online.

Marie
I got one just like yours from Amazon.com for $6.97 plus 3.99 P&H.

I love it and after 3 or 4 efforts, I have it figured out. The only thing I could add is that be very sure you don't drop stitches, as.... if for any reason you take the loops out of the needles, you will end up unraveling it all and starting over. NO FUN!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes that' how it's pronounced. Sorry I couldn't figure out what you were talking about until I reread the earlier post. Yes and leave it to the French( I'm part French) to give it flair. Jan
Sasse said:
Do you pronounce pique - peek (peak)?? - just wondering....neat way to spell it! a la francaise???

Susan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much. Jan
Sasse said:
2-at-a-time SOCKS, Melissa Morgan-Oakes (be sure to look up errata - corrections - there are quite a few!)

Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles, Cat Bordhi

From my Library to yours!
Susan

I find whenever I use a pattern - be it book, magazine, or other - I search out the ERRATA - Corrections, corrections everywhere!!! (who proofs these things??? us - the users!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Yes - one long needle - from my point of view, this is the easiest way to do this. I use metal needles because the beautiful bamboo needles I have tried always break - I guess I hold them too tightly. I use size 1 or 0 needles and I take my time - I'm not really in a rush. You need to use two balls of yarn in order to make it work. Each ball of yarn is attached to a different sock. It eliminates the 2nd sock syndrome and ensures that your socks look the same -- you do the exact same thing on each sock at the same time. And if your two balls of yarn are identical, any pattern made by self-striping yarn is identical.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom