Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
Bear with me as a new knitter. So when the pattern says 24+1 I know I'm suppose to cast on 25 stitches, but do those stitches include the border stitches (my last teacher said to do 2-4+ for borders to keep from curling. It doesn't matter a lot now as I'm just doing swatches, but know it will eventually??

Also, will a pattern always have the same # of stitches? I'm down one, but have a lot of adding and decreasing and wanted to make sure I didn't drop one w/o knowing it. Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The 24 + 1 would be for the pattern itself; so I would add the sts for the selvedge on each side.

The 24 is for the number of repeats (in case you are making it wider) and then the one,
plus your selvedge edge sts.

Usually, if your stitch count changes, the pattern should tell you.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
solsenz said:
Hello-
Bear with me as a new knitter. So when the pattern says 24+1 I know I'm suppose to cast on 25 stitches, but do those stitches include the border stitches (my last teacher said to do 2-4+ for borders to keep from curling. It doesn't matter a lot now as I'm just doing swatches, but know it will eventually??

Also, will a pattern always have the same # of stitches? I'm down one, but have a lot of adding and decreasing and wanted to make sure I didn't drop one w/o knowing it. Thanks for your patience.
When you have lots of adding and decreasing, you may not always have the same number of stitches. A good pattern should tell you how many stitches on each row, tho' they often don't.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
First of all ... welcome to KP....
Given that your stitch pattern is a 24 +1 multiple.... if you want to do two repeats then you'll need 48 +1 stitches for the body of the item, plus the edge stitches.
Let's say 4... so the calculation:{ (24 x 2) + 1 + 4 + 4} = 57 stitches to cast on. If your gauge is 6 stitches per inch, that will make this 9 and a half inches wide.

I always use markers to let me know that I'm back at the edge stitches.... I usually do garter stitch for edge stitches (simple, knit those stitches on every row)

If it is a freely available stitch pattern please give us the name or preferably the link....

It depends on what you are making and the knit stitch pattern you are using....
If it's a scarf or blanket, then you will probably have the same number of stitches when you get done with every row....
However, there are some stitch patterns that do some decreases on a row or two and then do increases on a row or two...
so over a series of rows your stitch count may vary but once you've knitted all of the rows for the stitch pattern, you will have the same number of stitches on the last row as you did on row 1.

Hope all that is not too confusing.... you can get lots of help here....

·
Registered
21,413 Posts
If you are just doing swatches, you might be interested in making them into dishcloths, or smaller, coasters. Even in your swatches, you would be best to include at least 2 repeats across and down. You might want to add a 2 or 4 stitch border and try seed/moss stitch, garter stitch or rib, just to see the difference and add to your experience in reading stitches.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Question 1 Border stitches are extra as already mentioned.

Question 2 Generally speaking a given pattern will have the same number of stitches in each row.
However, there are exceptions. Some patterns will increase in a certain row only to decrease in a subsequent row, but eventually will return to the original number of stitches.

Are you making a sampler afghan? That is a wonderful way to try out new patterns.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Welcome!
If your stitch pattern doesn't give stitch counts for each row, you can figure out whether or not the count changes by just looking at the increases (for example, M1, yo) and decreases (k2tog, ssk etc.). In general, if you have the same number of increases and decreases across the row, then your stitch count should remain the same.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The pattern repeat is 24. So it depends how many repeats you need to get the width of the item you want to knit. 2 repeats means cast on 48 sts plus 1, so cast on 49 sts. Three repeats will be 72+1 and so on. The 1 is only needed at the end of a row. If you want a border you will need to cast on 3 or 4 extra sts at each end. So 4 + 72 + 5. You will see after you do your 1st row of pattern why the extra 1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's only confusing because I wonder why they +1 when they could just include it in the total amount of stitches instead of 24 + 1 just 25. I'm sure it will come. I just got thinking about the border and thought maybe that's what the +1 was. I am doing swatches out of the dictionary so overall it doesn't matter I didn't include the border this time, but next time will. Thank you so much:)

·
Registered
840 Posts
solsenz said:
It's only confusing because I wonder why they +1 when they could just include it in the total amount of stitches instead of 24 + 1 just 25. I'm sure it will come. I just got thinking about the border and thought maybe that's what the +1 was. I am doing swatches out of the dictionary so overall it doesn't matter I didn't include the border this time, but next time will. Thank you so much:)
It's not quite that simple. If you wanted to make it larger/wider, in order to keep
in the pattern, you would need to add an extra 24 sts as this is the pattern repeat.
The extra stitch is not for each 24 sts, it is only added after your amount of repeats.
It is needed for this individual pattern. Of course, you can also add the selvedge sts.

I hope I made this a little clearer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom