Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have knitted a pinwheel blanket with 10 sections in super bulky yarn on 9mm needles. Now that I am almost done, I would like to do a knitted edging using the live stitches. I've looked at the I cord but wondered if any of you have a more interesting suggestion. It does need to be knitting because I have not mastered crochet. TIA for any help you can give.

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
There are so many edgings you can use that are knitted sideways.

Assuming that the edging is in garter stitch, here's how:
Cast on the number of stitches for the edging plus one more (WS). Knit one row up to the last stitch, and knit it together with one of the live stitches on the edge of the blanket. Turn. Slip the first stitch, knit across.
Next row, begin the edging pattern (RS), knit the last stitch together with the next live stitch of the blanket.
Next row, slip the first stitch, knit across.
Repeat all around the blanket edge.

Note: A relatively narrow edging pattern works best. Here are some to consider---

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&query=Lace edging knit sideways

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
knit4ES said:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#photo=yes&view=captioned_thumbs&query=edging%20knit%20sideways&pa=sideways&pc=edging&sort=created

Beachgirl1000... the link you posted went wonky.... so I used it and came up with the above.....
How odd! Thanks so much for letting me know! Life is wacky enough without wonky links! ????

In the Ravelry pattern search line, I put "Knit lace edging worked sideways" and got 22 pages. Some are rogue patterns, but there are quite a few good ones to choose from.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beachgirl1000 said:
There are so many edgings you can use that are knitted sideways.

Assuming that the edging is in garter stitch, here's how:
Cast on the number of stitches for the edging plus one more (WS). Knit one row up to the last stitch, and knit it together with one of the live stitches on the edge of the blanket. Turn. Slip the first stitch, knit across.
Next row, begin the edging pattern (RS), knit the last stitch together with the next live stitch of the blanket.
Next row, slip the first stitch, knit across.
Repeat all around the blanket edge.

Note: A relatively narrow edging pattern works best. Here are some to consider---

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&query=Lace edging knit sideways
Thanks beachgirl. I will use your technique.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I couldn't sleep last night so worked on the blanket. I have done 4 rows of double moss stitch with the next larger size needle, and am now casting off using the next larger than the last size needle using a really stretchy bind off. I have several more blankets to make so will be able to use your help for the next ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom