Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have read that Border's will be closing many of it's locations. I am a Border's Rewards member and use my "member bucks" and 40% or 50% off to buy knitting books. I just found out my local Borders will be closing in April...darn. A weekend knitting group met there every Saturday..we have no other book store in the immediate area.

If you want to see a list of the stores that will be closing here is a link. I don't know if they will be having any "going out of business" sales, but perhaps there will be mark downs. They always had a nice section for knitting/crocheting and other crafts.

http://www.bordersreorganization.com/Reorganization_Closure_List.pdf

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is! I've gotten wonderful knitting books there for 50% off, joined the knitting group that meets there and enjoyed a cup of coffee in the coffee shop.

The day after Christmas in 2009, I was headed for the Home Depot (in the same strip mall as our Borders). The street was in very bad shape...even my 4wd vehicle had problems. A woman behind me in a little Honda, slid into this nasty deep snow...so I pulled over and got out my folding shovel to dig her out. She was upset that she didn't have a shovel, I noticed a child's pail in the back of her car...she got it out of the car and we both dug her out. I went on my way to Home Depot, got my new light fixture and then ran into Borders...there she was. She insisted on buying me coffee and a treat for digging her out.

I just love that shop and will miss it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for sharing this; I had not heard. Just checked and 1 of ours is closing but one will stay open. I hadn't thought of looking there for books, but I will now that your recommended it!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the past few years, I've probably bought at LEAST a dozen wonderful knitting books there and a couple of spinning books. Generally I have used a 50% off coupon that was emailed to me because I am a rewards member. Heck their coffee shop emailed me coupons for free coffee on my birthday! The next nearest book shop that carries knitting, crochet, spinning books is 13 miles away!

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's sad that its closing, especially the fact that u had a group meeting there. However, u should be able to continue ordering ur books online.
I am a member of Barnes & Noble, & own a Nook & NookColor. I get emails all the time. I know that both Borders & B&N have apps for smartphones & computers u can download. U can also get the eBooks for cheaper than printed books. So maybe u can get books that way.
I like to look b4 I buy. I will sometimes do shopping on my NookColor, & will look @ the book there & then check out reviews on other sites. If it looks good I will get it after I research it. My KK & KB books are print, for now. I am looking @ getting some for my NookColor or NC, just so that I can go over stitches or patterns on it or my Droid that has the app. Maybe something like that will work for u, along with starting a group @ ur home, church, apartment complex, etc.
Good Luck!!!

Terriann

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Courier, Borders need to hire you as their Public Relations Rep!!
I'm a local library fan, but I shall check out coffee, buy one of my favorite references and inquire if they have a knitting group meeting there. Until last year I worked 8-5 and not much else. One store in downtown Indy is closing but the two on my side of town remain open. Sorry about your loss.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm sad for you, however, I have to travel 50 miles to get to a LYS - the only one within 90 miles of my house - and our Borders is not slated for closing - thankfully. It's the only bookstore within 50 miles., Barnes and Nobles moved 20 miles north of their previous location (50 miles away). All I have close by (12 miles) is Wal-Mart! The downside of living out in the country, I guess.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes our Borders is closing too. I have never bought anything there, I am not sure I have even been in our store,it is way out on the other side of town. I usually buy all my books at Hastings, and since I just started knitting I have not even looked for knitting books. Will have to check them out next time I am in Hastings, although I may have to go out to Borders and see if they have any good sales.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Hi Courier..I, too am shocked at the news about Borders. Our's is closing, estimated April. Thanks for the link to the list..unbelievable!!! It just goes on and on, doesn't it? I, personally, can't see the light at the end of the tunnel..but I won't give up hope...Hildy

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I stopped by the Borders here tonight after work..there are "limited" items on sale right now but the employees tell me the sales will increase in the coming days. This is really a shame.

Borders always had a lovely craft department, and other items one couldn't find anywhere else.

I just shudder to think how many people will be losing jobs! A local here made a comment in our paper that books and magazines are passe as everyone can access everything on the internet now! What cave is this guy living in?

If your Borders isn't closing..go check it out. They carry a wonderful assortment of knitting, crocheting and spinning books. Many are home to local knitting groups.

I was in a coffee shop today (I'm a delivery driver and do a different route every day) a woman came in from the knitting group at Borders to try and arrange for the group to meet there. This coffee shop was very willing to host the group. Odd I had never been in this shop before..and I found something very cool...baskets of hand knit hats and gloves that local knitters had made..for sale, very inexpensive! Good idea, this coffee shop is located near the University here!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The Borders in our town is one of those closing. We still have one private bookstore and a Hastings. Borders was actually the "new kind on the block" here. I'm always sad when a bookstore closes but I bemoan the private bookstores even more than Borders. Maybe your knitting group could move to a friendly coffee shop.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's the e-books like nook and kindle that are doing real books a disservice. Amazon.com sold more e-books in 2009 than regular books. And you don't need a nook or the like to download and read them. You can access them thru your computer. And magazines are dying out too - and many are supplementing their paper copies with more info on the internet accessible only to the mag subscribers. But there's nothing like holding a book or good magazine and feeling the paper, and feeling free to mark or highlight good quotes or information you want to retrieve later. The knitting books at the not so local Borders were moved to the art and architecture section and it seems that the quantity was also reduced.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Where did you see that the one is Stroudsburg PA is closing. I did not see it on the list. That is the one that my dil and I go to. My husband buys his guitar lesson magazines there. It is the only place around that sells them. I hope my dil used her up her giftcard that we gave her last Christmas.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I support print books and libraries. I buy few books because I get mine from the library if they are fiction. I read about 4 or 5 books a week, more than I can afford to buy whether the format is print or electronic. However, I buy knititng and other craft books because they are used over extended periods and I still prefer them on paper. I don't mind electronic magazines, though. In some ways I prefer them. However, I like my electronic magazines to be set up like a print magazine, not like a web page. There is something about paging through a magazine to see the content evolve before you. Putting it in a web-page type format absolutely ruins it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How lucky are we, our Borders is not closing. I love leafing thru my magazines and knitting books but it's also nice to be able to download the pattern to my Kindle and then follow the directions from that. I keep my class calendar, reading supplies and patterns on my Kindle. My mags don't get ripped or dogeared either. I like the best of all worlds!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom