Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
This reminds me of a book of felted bags I bought. The first one I knitted had no instructions for the bottom of the bag.
I emailed the designer and she acted as though it was my fault. Apparently you were to sew the bottom together. Absolutely no indication of that in the pattern but she gave me the impression I was stupid not to have figured that out!
Now I don't trust any of her other patterns.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,312 Posts
Joy Marshall said:
This reminds me of a book of felted bags I bought. The first one I knitted had no instructions for the bottom of the bag.
I emailed the designer and she acted as though it was my fault. Apparently you were to sew the bottom together. Absolutely no indication of that in the pattern but she gave me the impression I was stupid not to have figured that out!
Now I don't trust any of her other patterns.
Maybe this is why I pretty much stick with tried and tested patterns. I want to KNIT, not try to devine what someone else takes for granted that I just know! I've frustrations enough in my life, without going out and looking for more!
Thank goodness for Ravelry! Those who've encountered problems with patterns aren't shy about posting comments about them!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pin_happy said:
Yes, if in round you knit the knit and purl the purl, but if on straight needles, then you purl the knit and knit the purl.
Now I'm totally confused. The pattern doesn't designate the type of needles. Just says:

All wrong side rows: work sts as they present themselves
I will go with sprink's advice:

Knit the 'vee-necks' and purl the 'turtlenecks'.
I wish pattern designers would be consistent with instructions.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
What are you working on? If you have to turn and work each and every rows, it means you will be knitting flat or straight, but if you join the stitches to make a kind of tube then that is round. Normally, designer will designate rounds and rows, that will be the noticeable difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks pin happy... I thought it was just me. If you're working straight rows, and turn the work to start the next row, the stitches you just knit (with the bump in back) present themselves with the bump in front. To work it as presented would mean to purl to keep the bump in the front. I like purl the turtlenecks, too!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks pin happy... I thought it was just me. If you're working straight rows, and turn the work to start the next row, the stitches you just knit (with the bump in back) present themselves with the bump in front. To work it as presented would mean to purl to keep the bump in the front. I like purl the turtlenecks, too!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pin_happy said:
What are you working on? If you have to turn and work each and every rows, it means you will be knitting flat or straight, but if you join the stitches to make a kind of tube then that is round. Normally, designer will designate rounds and rows, that will be the noticeable difference.
The pattern is for a scarf, and I will knit it with straight needles as it's flat work and not that many stitches. The pattern stitches are set forth in the odd numbered rows (1-3-5, etc.) with the instruction:

All wrong side rows: work sts as they present themselves
So, what is it?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
SO you have to purl the knit and knit the purl in the wrong side rows, all even numbered rows, because when you knit in the right side the wrong side is purl, and vice versa for purl, you will go for knit. All wrong side rows work sts as they present themselves, it means as you see them on the wrong sides.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom